Introduction: Open-Faced Egg & Avocado Sandwich
Lockdown in London at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic didn't have a lot of silver linings, but this sandwich may just be one of them!
My husband and I used to do our own thing for lunches, which usually meant grabbing a sandwich or burrito around our separate workplaces. When lockdown happened, there was suddenly a need for a nutritious lunch that was quick to prepare at home and importantly, that could be pieced together using the ingredients we had on hand. And so, this open-faced egg and avocado sandwich was born!
We like it so much that it's still one of our favorites post-lockdown.
Makes 1 sandwich
- Slice of sourdough bread
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1-2 tsp cooking oil (I like olive oil for the health benefits.)
- 2 eggs
- A handful of cherry or plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (The key ingredient that gives the sandwich a bit of zing!)
- Knife and cutting board
- Frying pan and lid
- Serving plate
Step 1: Prepare the Base
- Place the slice of bread on a serving plate.
- Remove the skin from the avocado half. Cut the avocado in chunky slices, and lay them on top of the bread. Use a knife to spread the avocado across the slice of bread, as much as is possible. If your avocado is ripe, it should spread fairly easily.
Step 2: Fry the Eggs
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan on low heat. Tilt the pan as needed to ensure the oil covers the bottom of the whole pan.
- Once the oil is hot, crack two eggs into the pan. Immediately cover the pan with a lid to help the eggs cook evenly on top and bottom.
- After 1.5 minutes, check the eggs. Once you see that the egg white is cooked (opaque) except for a thin ring around the yolk, remove the pan from the heat. Place the lid back on the pan and allow the covered pan to sit for another 30 seconds while the egg finishes cooking with the residual heat.
- Lift the lid and use a spatula to remove the eggs from the pan and to place them on top of the bread and avocado base.
Note: Eggs prepared in this way will have runny yolks. Adjust the cooking time if you prefer cooked yolks.
Step 3: Add the Toppings
- Sprinkle the halved tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds over the top of the eggs.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar over the top.
Serve and enjoy!
Participated in the
Sandwich Challenge 2020