Introduction: Poha (15-minute Vegan Indian Recipe)
Poha is a staple breakfast/ snack item in many parts of India. It's a soft, fresh, tangy and light dish!
It's super easy to make and all comes together in 15 minutes in a single pan!
What is Poha?
Poha is parboiled and flattened rice. It requires minimal cooking and can be modified and supplemented according to your taste. It does have a rice-like taste but it’s also not sticky like normal rice. Instead, on cooking it becomes super light and fluffy!
Poha is a perfect breakfast dish. You can even pack it in a tiffin/ lunchbox to have as a mid-day snack!
Preparation time- 10 minutes
Cooking time- 5 minutes
- Poha- 2 cups
- onion- 1 large onion cut into long strips
- green chillies - 2 finely chopped
- ginger- 1 inch finely chopped
- roasted peanuts- 8-10
- vegetable oil- 2 tbsp
- mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- curry leaves- 8-10
- turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- sugar- 1 tsp
- coriander leaves- 1 tbsp finely chopped
- lemon juice- 1 tsp
(Poha packets are pretty cheap and should be available at most Indian/Asian stores or even online. When buying poha; look for the 'medium' variety. 'Thin' poha will clump up very fast. 'Thick' poha will feel like rice.)
Step 1: Hydrating the Poha
Put the poha rice into a sieve and wash gently but thoroughly in running water till the water runs clear.
Soak the poha in a bowl of water for 2 minutes, then drain using a sieve and keep it aside.
(Don't soak the poha in water for too long or else they'll become mushy and lumpy)
Step 2: Chop the Veggies and Ready the Spices
- Onion - cut one large onion into long thin julienne strips.
- Ginger- finely chop/ grate about 1 inch of ginger
- Green chillies- finely chop 2 green chillies (if you like spicy food, feel free to add more)
- Coriander- finely chop about 1 tbsp of coriander leaves
- Curry leaves- remove about 8-10 curry leaves from a sprig and keep ready
Step 3: Cooking the Poha
The cooking is the best part. It's fast and easy!
- Heat up a pan/ wok on a medium heat and add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter (very important)
- Next, add the curry leaves, peanuts, green chillies and ginger and fry them all for about a minute.
- Now add the spices- turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- After the spices, quickly add the chopped onions and stir well. Add salt and cook the mixture for about 1-2 minutes till onions are translucent.
- Now add the drained poha. Add a teaspoon of sugar and mix well to break up any clumps and evenly cover the poha with the spices.
- Cover with a lid and let it steam and cook for a minute before serving. Your Poha is now ready!
(You can very simply modify this recipe if you want to by adding more veggies such as peas, tomatoes, potatoes and even cauliflower. Be sure to cook the vegetables appropriately before adding the poha)
Step 4: Garnish and Serve!
Now that your super simple Poha is ready, garnish it with the chopped coriander leaves and squeeze about a teaspoon of lemon juice onto it before serving.
If you need any more help or clarifications of the recipe, please feel free to contact me anytime.
If you liked this instructable, please do vote for it in the 'One Pot Meal Speed Challenge'. Thank you!
Participated in the
One Pot Meals Speed Challenge