Introduction: Potato Lollipops
This instructable is about great snack, in my case dinner material. Of course this is not diet friendly coz it has potatoes and its oil fried, but it nutritious and delicious ;) Its about time you give a diet break a break by stuffing these little pops in your mouth and have a cheat day for diet. They are very easy to prepare and plus thing is its can be listed as party material, Mostly Potato pops are made like just the round balls, but these are lollipops which is cool.
Step 1: Ingredients
Potato Pop Base
1) Potato (medium size) - 3 nos
2) Spring onion - 3 tbsp
3) Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
4) Chat masala - 1/2 tsp
5) Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
6) Dry Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
7) Raw mango powder - 1 tsp
8) Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
9) Salt - 1/2 tsp
10) Bread crumbs - 1/4 Cup
11) Sweet corn - 3 tbsp
1) Corn flour - 2 tbsp
2) Maida - 2 tbsp
3) Salt - pinch
4) water - 1 tbsp
Mozzarella cheese or cheese cube - 14 cubes (for this potato quantity)
For exterior coating
Bread crumbs - As required
Step 2: Boil Potato
First and foremost thing, boil the potato well, i boiled this in pressure cooker, Peel of their skin and mash it well with potato masher
Step 3: In Go Everything
After mashing really well, it will be very soft. First add the spices mentioned, then add sweet corn , spring onion and bread crumbs. DO NOT ADD WATER. Mix it well, potato itself will have moisture content and that will be helpful in holding the mixture intact.
Step 4: Cheese It
If you have cheese cubes, straight away you can nudge it in the center, if you have block of cheese cut them in cube not big not small size it approx 1/4 of ball size. Grease you hand either with oil or butter start rolling potato balls, give a press at the center and place the cheese, cover the ball. Carefully poke a bamboo skewer, don't worry the potato mixture will be intact.
Note: Cheese lovers don't try to add more cheese in the center, I'll tell why at the end
Step 5: Line Them Up
Once done, Make the slurry, combine both flour , salt and slowly add water and mix it lump free
Step 6: Dip and Roll
Dip your potato pop in slurry and immediately coat it with bread crumbs
Step 7: Fry It
Heat the oil to medium temperature , after testing. slowly add your potato lollipop and fry them until they turn golden brown
Step 8: Potato Lollipop Dressing
Looks like they are in Camp fire, seated round with fire at center and telling ghost stories.. Creepy thinking right?
Anyhow for parties placing them like this in the center would be very appealing and make everybody wanna try it out
Step 9: Thank You
So you are at the final step, look how cheesy it is at the center.. yummmyyyyy
As i said few tips before starting
1) Instead of adding full sized sweet corn mash them too, they tend to pop out in hot oil (found it hard way.. Ouch)
2) 1/4 cheese at the center the size of potato mixture, because then only there will be a thick potato protective layer around the cheese keep it inside the pop. Trust me cheese and hot oil are cold blooded enemies, they don't get along with each other. If cheese leaks into oil there will be lot of popping sounds as its watery in hot oil. So watch out for that
3) Adding skewer before fry is the correct way to do. Ya its difficult to cook with it. Don't think about poking it after cooking will help you to create lollipop, you'll end up with leaky lollipop. cheese will come out immediately.
Mostly have fun and impress your friends and family
Thank you for your support & time.
Please leave a comment or suggestions. Do vote if you like this recipe
Participated in the
Potato Speed Challenge