Introduction: Potted Plant Secret Compartment
I've got a weird obsession with secret compartments. I love trying to think of new ways to hide things in plain site and re-purposing random objects. This instructable was born from a trip to IKEA to pick up a desk lamp. One of the clocks they had for sale opened up to reveal shelving behind it. Of course, this got me thinking about secret compartments. I got distracted by their large selection of fake plants, and decided to buy one and see what I could do with it (I forgot the lamp, though).
Thanks to everyone who voted for me in the Protected Contest!
Step 1: What You Need:
- Small fake plant
- Plant pot
- Empty plastic container (the kind yogurt comes in; you want a container that can only be pushed about 1 to 1 1/2 inches into the pot before stopping.)
- Craft knife
- Hot glue gun
Step 2: Taking Apart the Plant
- Disassemble the fake plant. Most IKEA plants have a rubber disk of fairly unconvincing fake dirt that you will need to pry out of the way to get at the connections.
- My plant was connected to the bottom of the pot by some metal wires, so I had to use wire cutters to remove it.
- Trim the wires protruding from the bottom of the plant to about and inch long.
Step 3: Cutting the Container
- Make sure the plastic container can only be pushed about 1 to 1 1/2 inches into the pot. You might have to try multiple containers to get one that fits.
- Cut the bottom 1/2 inch of the container off and save it.
- Make sure the bottom of the container still rests in the pot about 1 to 1 1/2 inches below the top.
Step 4: Assembling the Plant
- Cut a cross in the center of the container bottom. Do it gently, because I cracked the plastic by forcing the blade in.
- Push the wires protruding from the bottom of the fake plant through the cross (or in my case, asterisk).
- Hot glue the plant in place; use a lot of glue, enough to completely cover the bottom of the plant and the cuts.
Step 5: Finishing Up
- Put the "plant" in the pot to make sure it sits well.
- Remove the plant and fill the plastic container with dirt.
- Put whatever you want to hide in the bottom of the plant pot.
- Place the plant in the pot over top of it.
Spread the dirt around to obscure the plastic completely.
Second Prize in the
Participated in the
On a Budget Contest
Participated in the
Small Spaces Contest