Introduction: Prawn Rice for 2
So we tried to cook an Indo-Thai recipe. Of course mid way we realised the we were short of a few spices and so began our experiment. The amount cooked was perfect for 2, but one may add or subtract as per the quantity and the appetite. We used:
1 cup (150g) Basmati rice
2-3 cups (450ml) vegetable stock – (spinach, peas, carrot, tomato)
1.5 Tbsp. white salt
1 Cup finely cut fresh coriander leaves
1/2 Cut lemon
1/2 Cup (75ml) Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup (30ml) Chilli Sauce
1/2 Tbsp. of ginger (finely chopped)
50gms of fine sugar
500g prawns, peeled (you can keep the tail intact if you want)
1. If you don’t have the stock prepared, first make the stock.
Stock Preparation: Take all your vegetable that you would want to boil to have along with your prawn rice in a pressure cooker, and pour enough water to just submerge the vegetables. Mix some salt in the cooker. Close the lid, and let it cook on sim (low flame).
Meanwhile wash the Basmati rice.
2. After 20-25 minutes or when you think the vegetables would be boiled, pour out 2-3 cups of stock into the rice.
Use the stock to cook the rice.
Mix the Soy Sauce with the chilli sauce. Add the fine sugar and the finely chopped ginger and mix it all using a grinder/mixer.
Your Sweet Chilli sauce is now ready.
4. Once the Rice is just about cooked, mix half of the finely chopped coriander to it. Juice the half cut lemon and pour it into the rice as well. Mix it all, cover it and keep aside.
5. Take a medium size frying pan/sauce pan, and pour the freshly made chilli sauce in it.
- Heat to boil, and pour the prawns into the mix. Cook for 3-5 minutes on a low flame.
(You may need to put some water in the saucer before covering it to cook).
6. Once the prawns are ready, put them in the rice bowl along with the remaining coriander.
Don't pour the Chilli Sauce into the rice. Serve that separately.
Mix well, cover and leave it for 5 minutes.
7. Pour the sauce into another bowl for individuals to choose how much they want to put in their dish.
Serve your Prawn Rice with some extra chilli sauce, lime wedges and the boiled vegetables.