Introduction: Puff Pastry Rosemary Potato & Chicken Squares (Regular & Gluten Free)
When I was in junior high school, growing up in a small town outside of St. Louis, Missouri, the Galleria Mall opened up in Richmond Heights, Missouri. It was always the "best day ever" when my mom would let me and my best friend walk around the mall by ourselves, and have lunch at the California Pizza Kitchen.
My favorite pizza back then, and that I still crave today is their Rosemary Potato & Chicken Pizza.
However, now that I have discovered how easy it is to use Frozen Puff Pastry instead of making homemade pizza dough, I make this a lot more often! I think the puff pastry kicks it up a notch too, instead of using regular pizza dough. There is something about all those buttery, flaky layers, that is just so irresistible!
This recipe is my spin on the Rosemary Potato & Chicken Pizza from California Pizza Kitchen.
I am using puff pastry (regular and GLUTEN FREE) instead of the traditional pizza dough, and I am adding Provel cheese. Being from St. Louis, I had to throw in some Provel.! :) Enjoy!!
Chef's knife /Cutting board
Step 1: Garlic Shallot Butter With Lemon (Sauce)
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup minced shallot
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup chardonnay
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon or chicken base
Step 2: To Make the Garlic-Shallot Butter With Lemon (sauce):
1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot, garlic and thyme. Cook stirring until mixture is light golden brown.
2. Add salt/pepper, wine, lemon juice, and chicken base. Cook until the mixture is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Reduce heat, and stir often to prevent burning!!
'3. Remove the pan from the heat, and whisk in the remaining butter.
Step 3: Rosemary Potatoes
1/2 pound small potatoes, sliced into very thin slices. ( any kind of potato will do )
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
salt/pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
Step 4: To Make the Rosemary Potatoes:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine sliced potatoes with the remainder of the ingredients, and coat thoroughly. ( I like to put on a glove, and use my hand. That's the best tool!! :)
3. Lightly spray a sheet pan, and transfer the potatoes to the baking sheet, spreading out in an even layer.
4. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown. Some of the slices may need to be flipped to promote even browning. Do not refrigerate.
Step 5: Garlic Grilled Chicken
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon soy sauce
salt/pepper (to taste)
2 tablespoons olive oil
10 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Step 6: To Make the Garlic Grilled Chicken
**NOTE** - This is best if you have the time to actually grill the chicken on a hot outdoor grill, but if not a standard grill pan works just fine. ( I used the grill pan on the stovetop).
1. Combine garlic, soy sauce, salt/pepper, and olive oil in a ziploc bag.
2. Add the chicken, and marinate for 15 -30 minutes.
3. Cook the chicken breasts 5-7 minutes per side, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 165 degrees F or higher. If using a grill pan, make sure to brush the pan with some oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
4. Allow to chicken to cool, then slice into bite sized pieces. If not using right away, store in the refrigerator.
Step 7: Puff Pastry Squares (Ingredients Needed in Addition to the Sauce, Potatoes & Chicken)
1 box of puff pastry (can be regular or GLUTEN FREE puff pastry)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup Provel cheese - (if you can not find Provel you can use more mozzarella, or any other cheese of your choice)
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon oregano
Step 8: To Make the Puff Pastry Squares:
. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Lightly spray two baking sheets with cooking spray, or use parchment paper to line baking sheets.
3. Lightly roll out each sheet of puff pastry onto the baking sheet. ( You can use GLUTEN FREE puff pastry for this recipe.) I actually used one sheet of regular puff pastry, and one sheet of GLUTEN FREE puff pastry).
4. Use a pastry brush to brush on the garlic shallot butter lemon sauce onto the puff pastry.
5. Top with mozzarella cheese, then chicken, then potatoes, and then top with Provel cheese, oregano & rosemary.
6. Bake until golden brown. Allow to cool, then slice into squares for serving.
Participated in the
Potato Speed Challenge