Introduction: Rich and Flavorful Vegan Soup Stock + Udon
The main takeaway of this instructable will be the recipe for the vegan soup stock, but I've also included how to make a udon bowl as an "applied case" for this delicious stock.
Step 1: Materials
For the soup:
- Kombu dashi, homemade or concentrate
- shiro miso
- lotus root
Additionally for the Udon:
- mung bean sprouts
Step 2: Cutting
- Quarter shiitake
- cut lotus roots into 1cm thick slices
- 3 thin slices of ginger
- roughly chop mung bean leaves
- finely dice scallions
Step 3: Making the Soup Stock
- Boil water in a large pot;
- Add kombu dashi, ginger, shiitake, lotus roots, miso, and soysauce;
- boil at medium-high heat for 15 minutes, drop to a low simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 4: Cooking Udon Noodles
- In a pot, boil 1L water
- add noodles and stir loose; cook for 3 minutes
- add bean leaves and cook for another 2 minutes
- filter out water from pot.
Step 5: Putting It Together
- First place cooked udon noodles and bean leaves in bowl
- add in 3 soup spoons of soup, some shiitake and a few pieces of lotus root
- decorate with nori and chopped scallions
- Serve while steaming hot!
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017