Introduction: Scrub It - Balm It - Stain It
After your eyes do you know what is the best part of your face .... Guessing .... still guessing ... what else it could be.. Lips are the next best feature of your face after eyes. Upcoming Instructable is about how to take good care of your lips NATURALLY.
Step 1: Natural Lip Care Routine
Do you suffer from dry chapped lips just like me , then below are the reasons that are making your natural soft lips turning into dry chapped ones.
Dehydration: Dry, chapped lips are a common sign of dehydration. Solve the problem by drinking more water, eating more fruits, and limiting caffeinated beverages. I'm basically a water tank.. but still i have dry lips.
Licking Your Lips: It’s hard not to do when your lips are dry, isn’t it? But every time you lick, you’re introducing saliva to your skin. There are chemicals in your saliva that help break down food for digestion. Unfortunately, they’ll also break down the skin around your lips. It’s time to go cold turkey on lip licking. Take a sip of water every time you feel the urge to lick!
And few more are there to add, but dehydration is the major reason
I have tried couples of lip balms varieties, none turns out to give expected result. Also conventional lip products are often filled with ingredients that can make your lips worse, not better (May be). If you want to establish a natural lip care routine for your gorgeous lips, just scroll down.
Step 2: Steps of Lip Care Routine
I have found way for natural lip care routine to heal dry, chapped lips. Which i would love to share including the DIY products and results obtained from them. (Alert: Close up pictures of lips ahead. Be careful ;P don't get scared)
1) Exfoliate your lip (Lip scrub)
2) Moisturise it (Lip balm)
3) My personal favourite replacement for Lipstick - Lip Stain
Follow this regularly, Trust me your lips are going to thank you! It's not gonna cost you much as most of the ingredients are readily available in your kitchen.
Step 3: Rose - Pineapple Lip Scrub
- Sugar - 1.5 Tsp + 1.5 Tsp
- Organic Coconut oil - 1 Tsp + 1 Tsp
- Organic Honey - 1/2 Tsp + 1/2 Tsp (not shown in tray)
- Food colouring - Yellow for Pineapple , Red for Rose
- Food essence - Pineapple flavour and Rose flavour
- Empty bowls
- Empty container
- Filler to add colour in droplets
1) Add sugar in two bowls, two drops of food essence Pineapple and rose each, food colouring of yellow and red also in one or two drops.
2) Add Honey, Coconut oil, mix them all well with spoon
3) Add it a container, i have given quite a cross shape of yellow first and then filled red
4) Yaayyy it's ready for exfoliating your lips.
Step 4: Exfoliate Your Lips
1) To use these lip scrubs, get a pinch out the container and gently start scrubbing around your lips for 2 - 3 mins
2) Once you are done scrubbing, lick it away.... what !?! its completely edible as well tasty...
Ok fine wipe it of with damp cloth for those who don't wish to lick
3) Do this once or twice a week. Lets see the benefits of this scrubbing
Coconut Oil: Natural oils like coconut deliver nutrients and healthy fats to your lips. This helps them stay naturally smooth and nourished. These oils also help treat dry skin, making it easier and faster to heal chapped lips.
Sugar: Sugar is a gentle and natural way to slough dead skin cells from your lips. This type of exfoliation will help keep your lips soft and supple.
Honey: Raw honey works well to lighten your lips. It also helps get rid of chapped skin and dead skin cells.
Tip : You can add Cinnamon powder too, it will naturally plump up your lip.. but few are allergic to it.
Step 5: Choco - Peppermint Lip Balm
So who are all crazy on chocolate like me.. then this the perfect treat for your lips and for you. As you can your eat Lip balm while your having food. No worries as these consists of complete natural ingredients
- Beeswax - 3 Tsp
- Coconut oil - 3 Tsp
- Cocoa butter - 4 Tsp or shea butter (but this has to be chocolatey hence cocoa butter is preferred
- Pepper mint essential oil - 6 drops
- Cocoa powder - a pinch
- Double boiler or thick bottomed vessel
- Measuring spoons
- Empty lip balm container (preferably glass since essential oil is added. If its plastic over a period of time essential oil will react to it)
1) Boil water in your thick bottomed pan, add above the glass or steel bowl with handle (easy for handling)
2) Add your beeswax after its starting melting, add coconut oil and cocoa butter. Let them melt completely and combine together evenly
Tip: To check the consistency of lip balm, stir with spatula and keep it aside for few mins.. that is the consistency you'll end up with. if you want it to be more waxy add beeswax or less waxy added coconut oil
3) Once melted, move your container add drops peppermint essential oil and pinch of cocoa powder.
4) Even though your beeswax will set very fast, give it a few secs before adding essential oil. As heat are enemies of essential oils, over heat will make the essential oil to lose it property.
5) Give it a good stir and pour it your container.
6) There you have it, your own organic lip balm
Step 6: Just Balm It - Moisturize Your Lips
1) Take required quality and start applying on your beautiful lips.
2) Personally i have tested that lips are moisturised for four hours.
3) Enjoy your soft, smooth, plumpy lips
Tip & Warning : Peppermint is one of the best essential oil in preparing lip balm, naturally it will plump your lips. but initially when used it might give some stingy effect.. don't be scared.. even i had for few secs (if it continues you might be allergic to it, choose any other essential oil i.e., lavender).. later it got settled. It gives cooling effect on lip.. isn't amazing !!! Aww i love that feel.
Now to the benefits of our ingredients
Beeswax - Beeswax naturally forms a barrier on the surface of your skin. This keeps moisture in and the elements out. It won’t cause irritation or clog your pores, but it will help relieve itching and discomfort. Oh, and it has a naturally sweet smell and taste.
Cocoa Butter - Cocoa butter, a rich fat derived from the same beans as chocolate, The emollient properties of cocoa butter act as a protective barrier by supplying and retaining moisture in the lips.
Peppermint essential oil - Peppermint Oil To Naturally Plump Your Lips. The peppermint helps to stimulate the circulation under the lips and creates a “swelling” effect, thus making your lips appear fuller.
Avoid using lemon, lime, grapefruit etc as they are photo toxic essential oils. They maybe very good for other uses, but not when applied and exposed to sun.
Step 7: Beet Root Lip Stain
- Beetroot - 1 No
- Coconut oil - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Measuring spoon
- Cheese cloth
- Blender (if you wanna test your muscle power you don't need this)
1) Take a good healthy beet root and start peeling of the outer layer
2) Cut them into cube and blend them
3) Since its blended add them in cheese cloth, its easily to squeeze them
4) Once squeezed fully, add coconut oil and mix it.
5) Your natural Liquid lipstick is ready
Step 8: Feel Free to Stain Your Lips
1) Apply it generously on your lips and massage for 30 secs.
2) You'll end up having your natural pink lips
3) I'm not gonna promise that its going stay for long hours.. but for a function and quick meeting. this should do. And what if it goes off.. no harm.. apply again.
4) This recipe can be stored in refrigerator upto 2 weeks. If your country is refrigerated you can keep it outside too (Not mine)..
Beet root - The colouring pigments betanin and vulgaxanthin in beets acts as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that helps lighten the dark pigmentation or discoloration in your lips and protects the lips from sun damage.
Isn't this great.. why bother buying lipstick with SPF in it. While homemade recipe can act like one.
Step 9: Enjoy
Thank you for viewing my Instructable
Would love to hear if anybody had tried this. Follow this routine for soft, plumpy, kissable lips
If your like my post, let me know through comment. looking forward to it.
Runner Up in the
Beauty Tips Contest