Introduction: Polish Gołąbki: Stuffed Cabbage Roll (Seafood Version)
Stuffed cabbage rolls are a common Polish cuisine typically made of pork or beef and rice filling. However, I decided to experiment a little with this recipe - this version of stuffed cabbage uses seafood instead of ground beef, but you can change it up and choose your own filling. It is a filling, yet also simple and healthy meal to prepare.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Cabbage Leaves
- Tomato / Pasta Sauce
- Fish balls or fish tofu
- Cutting board and Knife
Step 2: Mise En Place
There's quite of lot of separate ingredients for the filling, so plenty of preparation work is needed!
- Egg: Crack the egg to a small bowl and scramble until it looks uniformly yellow
- Fish Balls: Defrost the fish balls (30-45sec to defrost) and slice them into smaller pieces (see picture)
- Sauce: Add about 250mL of pasta sauce and water each and stir in 2 teaspoons of sugar
Step 3: Making the Rice Filling
Time to make the filling!
- Add some margarine on a non stick pan and heat on medium
- Once the margarine is melted, add in the rice and stir
- Add the beaten egg
- Cover for 2-3 minutes
Step 4: Adding the Fishballs
Now for the exciting part - seafood!
- Add the cut up fish balls into the rice
- Add in a tablespoon of salt and pepper each and Sriracha to taste
Step 5: Making the Cabbage Roll
Now that the filling is done, we can make the actual cabbage rolls.
- Spread the leafy portion apart, then add a couple of spoonfuls of filling
- Fold both sides inward
- Fold the top and bottom (you may need to crack the stem of the cabbage)
TIP: If the roll isn't staying in form, you can wrap it in cling wrap and freeze.
Step 6: Boiling It With Tomato Sauce
Final step! Cabbage rolls are traditionally served in a type of tomato sauce.
- In a saucepan, pour the diluted pasta sauce and set to medium heat
- Place the cabbage rolls stem side down
- Let it boil until the sauce thickens and leaves soften.
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017