Introduction: Smart Garbage Can With a Car
This is a smart garbage can with an ultrasonic sensor, a car, and a button, so moves forward when you press it. This project is inspired by https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Smart-Dustbin-With-Arduino/
Here are a few parts I made changes:
- 4 wheels and motor are added
- When the garbage can is far from you and you want to throw trash, you can activate its wheel without walking over.
- Mobile charger instead of a battery
- A mobile charger is more environmentally friendly, and it's easier to control on/off
- Button added on the car
- The button allows the car to move forward when you press it, otherwise, the car won't move.
For Garbage Can:
- Arduino Leonardo/ Uno
- A garbage can
- Servo motor
- Ultrasonic sensor
For the Car:
- 4 Motor 3-12VDC (2 Flats Shaft)
- LM298 H bridge Module
- Mobile charger
- 8 Crocodile clips
- Resistor (for buttons)
- 4 wheels
Step 1: Cut Holes in the Garbage Can & Place the Ultra Sensor and Servo Motor
- Poke two holes of the size of the ultrasonic sensor, and one hole at the bottom for wires to go through.
- Place the ultrasonic sensor in the holes.
- Stick the servo motor on the opposite side as shown in the picture.
- Attack a stick or straw on the servo motor so it pushes open the garbage can as shown above.
Step 2: Place the Motor on the Board
I used crocodile clips instead of welding, both work fine.
Step 3: Wire
The first image is for the car, and the second image is for the garbage can.
(Both Arduino Leonardo and Uno board can be used)
Step 4: Code
Link to the code for Garbage Can: https://create.arduino.cc/editor/hsingyi_chen/60cc8031-2083-4ced-8d83-09b9ab1bed5a/preview
Link to the code for the Car: https://create.arduino.cc/editor/hsingyi_chen/66987130-0590-4fe4-a7ad-cdc051651821/preview
(Make any changes you'd like, such as distance or angle)
Step 5: Wrap Up & Let It Work!
Cover the wires with plastic board or paper board!
How does this work?
- Plug the USB cable to your computer
- Turn on the mobile charger
- Press the button to move the car forward, and stop by letting go the button
- Put your hand near the ultrasonic sensor
- The garbage can will open automatically!