Introduction: Stir Fry Ackee & Mixed Vegetables
There are many healthy and filling alternative meals that are meat-free, this is my favorite. Stir Fry Ackee & Mixed Vegetables can be had for breakfast, lunch or dinner with whatever you'd like. With ackee being the main ingredient, correct preparation is important as poor preparation can cause sickness and discomfort, and we don't want that. So let's get started and at the end well enjoy the creamy texture and savory taste of this delectable fruit.
- Ackee - shorturl.at/jmtyQ
- Precooked Mixed Vegetable
- Vegetable/Olive Oil
- All-purpose seasoning
- Soy sauce
- Vegetable Seasoning
Step 1: Removing Fruit
Ackee grows in a pod and will need to be removed before we can start to clean up the fruit. It is important to note that the fruit is only ready when it opens on its own while on the tree and should never be forced open. This is because the toxins in the fruit aren't released until the fruit opens on the tree. If you get the canned ackee then this step isn't needed.
- Pull back a corner of the pod.
- Grab the fruit where the black seed meets the creamy light yellow portion of the fruit.
- Twist while pulling upward away from the pod
- Repeat this process for each ackee then dispose of the pod.
Step 2: Cleaning the Fruit
This step is as important as the first as the black seeds are not edible and will need to be removed. If you are using canned ackee, this step can also be skipped.
- Hold the seed in one hand and the flesh in your other hand.
- Twist and pull the seed away from the flesh.
- Open the two halves of the fruit.
- Remove any red or dark areas from the middle of the flesh with a knife.
- Once cleaned properly, only the visible off yellow color fruit should remain.
Step 3: Boil
We now need to boil the fruit before cooking.
- Add 2 cups of water for every 12 ackee fruits being boiled
- Add a teaspoon of table salt per 2 cups of water.
- Bring water to a boil then add ackee fruit.
- Allow boiling for 20-35 minutes on high heat.
- Check if the fruit is properly boiled with a fork by running a fork through it.
- It should go through the fruit easily and should not feel firm
- Once the desired texture is achieved through boiling, turn the fire off and drain water away.
Step 4: Beautiful Mixture of Ingredients
Time to mix our ingredients together. This step can be altered to include the ingredients you enjoy.
- Add mixed vegetables to the ackee on medium heat.
- Add 1 and a half tablespoon of vegetable or olive cooking oil
- Add minced seasoning.
- Add powder seasoning.
- Mix ingredients well.
- Intermidetely stir and allow to cook for 15 minutes on medium heat.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy
Once done, its time to enjoy with your side of choice. For breakfast, lunch, diner or a snack. This amazing and easy to prepare meal will leave you feeling satisfied and your tastebuds wanting more. Great recipe for those seeking an alternative to meat and the usual meat-free meals.
Give it a try, hope you enjoyed.
Participated in the
Meat Free Meal Challenge