Introduction: Strawberry Matcha Latte (from Boba Guys)
Boba Guys is an insanely popular bubble tea chain with locations from the SF Bay area to New York. Last time I was in Cali I was able to try one of their fan-favorites, the Strawberry Matcha Latte! I was hooked. It was sweet, creamy, and wonderfully fruity with a nice matcha caffeine kick. Plus you gotta admit it's super pretty :) Since the nearest location is 5 hrs from me, I've been making my own.
This recipe was officially released by Boba Guys on their Instagram story a while ago. I was able to take notes before it was gone to share with you guys!
Step 1: Ingredients
Here is what you'll need:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries (I used frozen)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp matcha powder (try to use high grade/ceremonial if you can-- it's more vibrant and has a brighter flavor)
- Any kind of milk you'd like (I used whole)
Half and half will not work
Step 2: Make Strawberry Puree
In a blender, combine your strawberries, sugar, and water until you get your desired consistency. I kept mine a little chunky, but as well as everything is well combined, you can make yours smooth too.
Step 3: Prepare Your Matcha
Take 1 heaping tsp of matcha powder and add it to a bowl. Then, pour 50 ml of hot water and whisk vigorously until combined.
Step 4: Assemble Your Drink
Prepare the following:
- your strawberry mixture
- your prepared matcha
- your choice of milk
- enough ice to fill your cup
- Measure out 100 ml of strawberry puree and pour this into your cup
- add your ice until the cup is full
- pour your milk slowly-- I recommend using the back of a spoon to break the pour and create a better layered affect. I learned this after my first cup (as you can see from the mixing that happened)
- pour your matcha over the milk, using the spoon method again.
Step 5: Enjoy!
This is a great drink for the 'gram ;) and for just sipping slowly in the sun. Use a straw and mix it all together if you wish.
Participated in the
Copycat Recipe Speed Challenge