Introduction: The Best Cake Pops Ever! From a Box of White Cake Mix!
- Do you like simple and enjoyable desserts? Then this recipe is the one for you! We're making Birthday Cake Pops with only 5 ingredients- Box of white cake mix, Vanilla frosting, Candy melts, Sprinkles, and Crisco shortening! They're simple yet delicious and the perfect dessert to bring to parties, small gatherings, or family events! These cake pops take around one hour including prep and cook time.
- The reason I started making my own cake pops at home all started after I had knee surgery last year. Right after I came out of surgery I was craving a Birthday Cake Pop, so my mom drove me to Starbucks and bought me one. When the employee told my mom the price I was so surprised how expensive one cake pop actually was. The next week I decided I wanted another cake pop, but realized I could make them at home for so much cheaper! I formed a recipe, transforming a simple box of white cake mix into a delicious Birthday Cake Pop. They turned out great and I can't wait to share them with you! I also have included my tips and tricks to making these cake pops turn out just right! I hope you enjoy The Best Cake Pops Ever!
- 1 box Pillsbury White Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoon Pillsbury Vanilla Frosting
- 1 12 oz bag pink candy melts
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Crisco shortening
- 24 paper cake pop sticks
- Hand or stand mixer
- Liquid measuring cups/spoons
- 9"x13" baking dish (any size will work)
- Cooling rack
- Large bowl
(look at images above for reference)
Step 1: Prep Baking Dish!
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Coat bottom of the 9"x13" baking pan with no-stick cooking spray or shortening and a flour dusting.
Note: This is prep for the Pillsbury White Premium Cake Mix. If you use a different brand of cake mix, you may have to set your oven to a different temperature or use a different size baking pan!
Step 2: Bake the Cake!
- In a stand mixer, beat cake mix, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of oil, and 3 eggs on medium speed for two minutes.
- Pour batter into 9"x13" pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 34-38 min. When the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, the cake is done. Let the cake cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. After 10-15 min, remove from pan and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
Note: The eggs, water, and oil measurements are specifically for Pillsbury White Cake. If you are using a different brand of cake mix, be sure to check the back of the box to see how to prepare the cake.
Step 3: Crumble Up and Form the Cake Balls!
- After the cake has completely cooled on the rack, crumble the cake into small pieces in a large bowl
- Add 2 tbsp of frosting to the cake crumbles and mix with a spoon or your hands. Mix frosting until the cake crumbles stick together and have a moist consistency.
- Shape the cake and frosting mixture into balls, with a size of your choice. The ball should be rolled tightly and the cake should not fall apart after forming the ball. Repeat for each ball and place on a baking sheet.
Notes: I like my cake pops to be an inch wide and an inch tall! If they start to crumble and fall apart while forming, add a little bit more frosting to your cake mixture! In total, this recipe should make around 24 balls!
Step 4: Add Cake Pop Sticks Into the Mix!
- Melt about 1/4 cup of candy melts in a small bowl. Heat in 30-second intervals to avoid overheating the candy.
- Dip the top of the cake pop stick into the melted candy and place halfway it into the ball. This is to ensure the cake pop stick stays firm in the cake ball throughout the whole process. Place the ball back onto the baking sheet.
- Repeat this process for all of your cake pops. Once completed, put the baking sheet into the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
Step 5: Dip Pops and Serve!
- Start melting the rest of your 12oz bag of candy melts in a bowl. Do this in 30-second intervals and mix in between. After candy melts have been completely melted, add 1 1/2 tsp of Crisco shortening into the bowl and mix well with a fork.
- Once the cake pops have chilled in the freezer for 15-20 min, dip them into the melted candy, submerging the whole pop. Slowly pull out the cake pop and add sprinkles before the candy hardens. Place in a cup or back on your baking sheet to dry.
- Repeat this dipping process for all of the pops. Let rest for one hour.
- After an hour, your cake pops are done and you are ready to serve!
Participated in the
Out of the Box Challenge