Introduction: Trumpet Cleaning for Beginners
Start with your materials:
Tub of warm water
Dawn dishwashing soap
Step 1: Disassembly
1. Place your trumpet in front of you.
2. Remove your mouthpiece
3. Remove your valves (be sure to keep them in order).
4. Remove your slides.
Step 2: Make a Bath
Add 1-2 teaspoons (or a small drizzle) of Dawn soap to the warm water.
Step 3: The Small Stuff
1. Place the slides and the mouthpiece (NOT THE VALVES) in the water.
2. Let them soak for a minute or so.
3. Take them out and scrub the inside of them with the cleaning brush.
4. Set to dry.
Step 4: The Big Stuff
1. Place the trumpet in the bath.
2. Let it soak for a minute or so.
3. Using a wash cloth, gently scrub any residue off of the instrument
4. Set the trumpet out to dry.
Step 5: Big Stuff With Small Parts
1. Scrub the inside of the instrument with the brush.
2. Be sure to get all open tubing.
3. Scrub the inside of each valve casing.
Step 6: Dry It Off!
1. Dry off the trumpet body.
2. Dry off the valve casings.
3. Dry off the slides.
Step 7: Grease It!
1. Add a small line of slide grease to each slide.
2. Gently rub it in with your finger.
Step 8: Oil It!
Add a few drops of oil to each valve
Step 9: Assembly
1. Insert all slides in proper positions.
2. Insert all valves in proper positions.
3. Insert mouthpiece.
Step 10: Ooh Shiny!
Polish the instrument with your polishing cloth by gently scrubbing the instrument with the cloth.