Introduction: What Not to Do When Cleaning a Large or Commercial Microwave

You will find many how-to on instructables and a million and one domestic and commercial how clean a microwave guide across the internet, but how many guides have you found on what not to do?

Well if you have a large, powerful or commercial microwave in your kitchen or home or work then you should remember that it needs regularly cleaning to ensure maximum efficiency, longevity and hygiene.  Cleaning any microwave oven can be difficult, especially when you don't have any ideas on what you should not let alone not do.

When it's your turn you need to make your you avoid the following:

You should never use any foil or metal objects whilst cleaning your microwave. Using such objects can cause damage to the machine by either scratching key elements and or protection.

You also don't want to leave any metal or foil behind as this can be extremely dangerous as it can potentially cause your machine to catch fire!

You should never operate an empty microwave as elements that are usually protected aren’t, and you don't want these fixtures to melt.

Also you must never turn the machine on whilst you have cleaning products inside. If your machine is turned on then the chemicals can react it several different ways permanently damaging your machine; erode the materials, set on fire, create smoke or create a foul smell, making the microwave unusable.

You might think that a microwave door is built to last forever, however doors when slammed closed can break as they are not built to take regular excess force.

Air & Grease Filters 
You should never leave in dirty air-filter as they can collect grease which will affect performance and if unchanged in a will can become a hazard. Mold can build and air flow can be restricted reduce the flow of the heat and if the heat builds in one place it can cause the machine to overheat and break.

You should never use chemicals not design for use on machines and microwaves. Some chemical might react with the materials and coating in a microwave, causing the coatings, paint or material to break away.

Do not under any circumstances spray household air-fresheners into a microwave oven to get rid of a bad or lingering smell. The spray might hang around in the machine and be spread around the machine when next used, this is not ideal when food is mixed with chemical sprays.