Introduction: Whole Green-gram Stew
There are many different recipes for making stew with whole green-gram. This is my own recipe which has a wonderful taste and can be served as main course. The quantities of ingredients mentioned in this recipe will be sufficient to serve six people.
Please go through the step-by-step instructions below
Step 1: Soak and Pressure Cook Whole Green-gram
- Take about 250 grams of whole green-gram and soak in water for about 15 minutes
- Heat about 750 ml of water in a pressure cooker and add the soaked green-gram to the cooker
- Once the water starts boiling, cover the cooker with the lid and pressure cook for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the cooker from stove and allow the pressure to come down
Step 2: Make Onion, Ginger and Garlic Paste
You can prepare the other ingredients required for the stew while the green-gram is being cooked.
- Take one medium sized onion, remove dry skin and cut into pieces
- Take one inch long piece of ginger, remove skin and cut into pieces
- Shuck a handful of garlic cloves
- Add all these ingredients together in a mixer grinder and make a fine paste
- Transfer this paste in a bowl and keep aside
Step 3: Cut Tomatoes
- Take three medium sized tomatoes and cut into pieces
- Add the cut tomato pieces in a mixer grinder
Step 4: Make Tomato - Spice Paste
Add the following ingredients to the cut tomatoes in the mixer grinder
- One teaspoon of red chili powder
- One teaspoon of Cumin seed powder
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Two teaspoons of dry coriander powder
- About 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida powder
Make a fine paste of all these ingredients along with tomatoes and transfer to a bowl. There is no need to add water.
Step 5: Preparation Step-1
- Heat two tablespoon of oil in a frying pan
- Cut four or five green chilies in halves and add to the oil in the pan
- Add the onion-ginger-garlic paste to the pan and cook till raw smell disappears
Step 6: Preparation Step-2
- It is optional - You can add two to three pieces of cloves, a small piece of cinnamon and few pieces of star anise to the onion paste for added aroma.
- Now add the tomato-spice paste to the pan and cook over medium heat for about five minutes
Step 7: Add the Cooked Green-gram
- By this time the pressure in the cooker might have come down. You can add the cooked green-gram to the other ingredients in the pan and add salt to taste.
- Add little amount of water if required
- There is no need to cook further. Once all ingredients are blended together, you can remove the pan from the stove
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves
This stew can be served as a main course with rice, bread and all
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017