Introduction: Wind Chimes V3
I got a request from a family member to make a wind chime. Wind chime project is quite close to my heart as, it is where i started my DIY journey, 3 years back.
I have improved my techniques since then.... In this instructable I will share how to make make "wind chimes" at home....
Step 1: What Do We Need ?
- Aluminium Pipes / hollow rods
- Nylon fishing thread/line
- 3 to 4" Outer diameter Wooden Circular disk
- 1 to 2" Outer diameter wooden coin
- 2x3" wood plank
- GI Wire
- 1 Hook
- 2 mm drill bit
- 1 mm drill bit
- wood stain of choice
Step 2: Chimes Length Calculator
I would like to give credit Mr. Lee Hites who has a very detailed instruction on how to build wind chimes.
I am using his C9 cord A440 calculator. Based on my previous versions, this gives very soothing vibrations around 440Hz....
Important Parameters to calculate lengths and hang point
- Outer diameter : 0.5
- Inner diameter : 0.375
- Materiel : Aluminium
Cut the pipes as per the lengths and drill holes as per the calculator. I choose aluminium as it is easy to cut / drill
Step 3: Holder
I am using 3.5" outer diameter wooden disc.
- On a paper, draw a pentagon and stick on the wooden disc
- Drill 1 mm holes using a dremel
- Using "gi wire" or hard wire or paper clips make loops
- Fix these loops on the wooed disc as shown
- You may need to use super glue the loops on the disc
Step 4: Striker and Wind Catcher
- To avoid annoying sound at slow winds, we need the wind catcher to be bit heavy
- I am using a wooden sheet
- Drill 1 mm hole to hang it
- Using carrom coin as striker
- Keep atleast 0.5" between the chimes and striker
- Drill hole on the striker
Step 5: Assembly
- Hang the chime rods from the holder loops using nylon threads
- Sequence : 1 3 2 5 4 ( increasing lengths )
- Adjust the heights by aligning
- Hanging points at same level
- Chime rods at same level
Step 6: Testing
Hang wind chimes and test the sound. I am posting test sound on youtube. If you are not able to see on the app, use this link.
Please share your comments