Introduction: Yellow Crab Curry With Coconut
A Yellow Crab Curry recipe also famously known as Kerala Boatman’s Crab Curry, made with the flavours of spices in an aromatic coconut based curry.
Prep time : 30-35 minutes
Serves : 2 -3 servings
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
- 1 big Dungeness crab (Cleaned and cut)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 green chilies
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 pearl onions
- ½ tbsp garam masala
- ½ tbsp pepper powder
- ½ cup of tamarind juice (squeezed from a lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked in water)
- ¼ cup water salt (as required)
- mustard seeds (a small pinch)
- 1 sprig curry leaves oil (as required)
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Clean the crab well.
- Make sure you remove all the dirt from the crab. Break its legs, do not pop out its flesh while breaking.
- Make a paste of grated coconut, green chilies, chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add this grind mix diluted in water with salt and tamarind pulp, allow it to boil.
- Add crabs and mix well with the gravy, followed by adding garam masala and pepper powder. Close the lid and cook on a low flame for 5 – 8 minutes.
- When the curry start to boil and slightly thicken up, check the salt level.
- In another small pan, prepare tempering by adding little oil, splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Add this tempering to the curry, mix well. Switch off the flame and cover and allow it stand for five minutes.
Serve hot with rice or chapatti or mashed tapioca.
- You can vary the amount of chili and pepper to suit your spice level.
- The garam masala I have used in my recipe has been bought from an Indian store (Sakthi Garam masala). You can also use a homemade masala which is preferable.
Participated in the