Well hello there photography/ 3D printing enthusiast. Today's project aims to turn something like this into something like this, using something a bit like this. I made this adapter for Nikon F mount lenses, but there's no reason it couldn't be modified for other mounts. (The files are available in step 1)
For more information on tilt-shift lenses, I'll refer you to our friend/enemy (depending on who you ask), mister Ken Rockwell.
Small Screws/screwdriver (Optional)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Design
The adapter was designed using Solidworks. The included files can be viewed for free using eDrawings, available here:
I have also included the STL files for those who want to plug them straight into a 3D printer.
Step 2: Print!
Now the easy part, load your STL files into your software and let the printer do all the hard work. My parts were printed overnight in a Stratasys printer. The hard part come in the morning wen you have to spend a few hours picking ut the supp
Step 3: Assemble!
Assembly is rather straight forward, the parts stack one on top of the other as in the solidworks assembly. The sliders can either be glued, pinned or screwed down in order to secure part 2 to part 1. The base ring ended up being useless as there is no way of putting it on without breaking something... oh well. If you really wanted, you could cut the ring in two and insert the halves seperately, but I found that the interference fit held
The parts are all dimensioned exactly, so you will have to sand them more or less depending on your printer's resolution and how much friction you want. More friction means it will stay together easier and hold your lens beter, less friction means a smoother operation.
Step 4: Results!
The tilt-shift features work well, though their impact in macro photography are questionable. They do however allow you to change your perspective somewhat without having to move the camera, which is an added bonus. The adapter is not particularly solid or robust, so I would suggest holding your lens in your hand at all times while using it, just in case. The flowers in the picture are only about 15mm in diameter, which on an APS-C body means your magnification ratio is somewhere between 1:2 to 1:1, not bad for an old 50mm f/2 that was never intended for macro work.
I hope you guys like my adapter, please feel free to download and modify the files to your hearts desire.(maybe someone could make a Canon or m4/3 mount version)
Participated in the
Gadget Hacking and Accessories Contest