In this instructable I'll show you, how you can do your own smartphone car holder to mount on the car central vents. May be it will fit not all car models, but I'm sure it will in most of them.
I'm using it mostly when I need to use the GPS. It works great! It is mounted on place with good visibility.
It is very easy to do. Only has 4 parts:
2 clips on the base, and 2 other clips to keep the smartphone laterally stable, this last 2 clips are gripping the vent manifold. This will allow to adjust to the smartphone.
I've been using this smartphone holder for 4 years now, and in the previous version I didn't protect the clips with shrinking tube, without that it can damage the bezel of the smartphone, as I did mine. Also, I recommend to have your smartphone protected with a case.
This holder is also very easy to remove and put it in place again.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
- 4 bulldog paper clips 25mm / 32mm depending on the smartphone size
- 4 pieces of 3 mm black shrinking tube 7 cm long
- Pliers to bend 2 steel arms
- Lighter to shrink tube
Step 2: Bend Some Clip Arms
You'll need to bend 2 arms to hold the smartphone vertically. Peace of cake. It doesn't have to be perfect. Use the pliers. In this picture is shown two bended steel arms on the same clip, but you have to bend one arm in 2 clips. The other arm of this2 clips will only be used to mouint then on the grill vents.
Step 3: Protect the Clip Arms the Shrink Tube
- Remove the clip arms.
- Insert the shrink tube in all arms except 2 not bended.
- Strip it from middle to ends, the most you can, before shrink, to avoid wrinkles.
- Shrink them with the lighter.
- Trim the excess. Use a blade or a knife.
- Mount the arms again on the clips
Step 4: Time to Mount on the Grill Vents
Mount as you see the in first picture.
Remove the not protected arms from the base clips. This arms are only to mount on the grill vents.
Enjoy it! Thanks for reading this instructable.