Intro: 5-minute Chocolate Cake
There are a lot of 5-minute cake-in-a-mug recipes out there, but I've taken the time to experiment with eight variations on a a recipe to come up with the best, tastiest, and most reliable 5-minute chocolate cake on the web. This quick and easy chocolate cake recipe will change your life! Now you can have a rich, chocolate dessert in an instant. So grab a big mug (I link to my favorite in the next step) and get ready to make new kind of cupcake - the cake in a cup!
Step 1: Supplies
- 4 tablespoons flour - make sure you measure it right - or the cake is a lie!
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons whisked egg - 1 egg is too much, 1 egg white is too eggy, 1 yolk is too dense, but 2 tblsp is just right!
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- splash vanilla or other flavoring - try peppermint or cinnamon
Step 2: Mix Your Ingredients
- Add all of the dry ingredients to the mug and mix.
- Add the egg and combine well. It gets pretty pasty at the point.
- Stir in milk and oil.
- Add chocolate chips* and splash of vanilla. Stir well.
Step 3: Nuke It!
- Microwave for 3 minutes in a 1000w oven, or 4 minutes in a 700w oven.
Step 4: Experiment!
Some people have had mixed results with the final texture of this cake.
This cake is tricky mostly because of people's microwaves all being different. I experimented a lot with the amounts of different ingredients.
I think if it's something you're going to make quite a lot in the future, it's worth fussing around with! Try just a bit less time in the microwave (you can always put it back in for more). If that doesn't help, try a little less egg, or a little less flour.
Keep notes on what you're trying each time, and eventually you'll find the cake that's perfect for both you and your microwave!