Blondies are bar cookies that have a nice butterscotch flavor and are pretty awesome. These have chocolate chips and pecans in them, but you can change it up with whatever you want.
Step 1: Ingredients and Tools
- 1 c. (225g) unsalted butter
- 2 c. (250g) flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1.5 c. (300g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. (125g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 c. (120g) choc. chips
- 2/3 c. (150g) chopped pecan
- 9”x13” pan
- small saucepan
- 2 mixing bowls, one large
Step 2: Getting Started
Preheat oven to 350F/177C
Grease 9”x13” pan or line it with aluminum foil, leaving some extra to hang over the edge to be used as handles for removing it and grease the foil.
Melt the butter in the small saucepan on medium-high heat. When the butter starts to boil and foam, turn the heat down to medium. Keep heating the butter and swirl it until the liquid changes to a deep golden color. Be careful not to burn it. When it looks good strain it into a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: Mix It Up
In the large mixing bowl:
- Add the sugars to the melted butter and mix until combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the flour mix and mix to combine.
- Add chocolate chips and pecans and mix to combine.
Step 4: Bake!
Pour the dough into the pan. Wet your hands to spread it evenly.
Bake for 30 minutes for chewy blondies (my preference). If you want them crunchier, cook for 40 minutes. A toothpick stuck into the pan should come out with a few crumbs still on it.
When they’re done, wait for them to completely cool before removing them. Removing them even while still warm can cause them to come apart.