Build a DreamMachine!
The school of Zottegem has designed their own dream machine. This is a huge robot that helps to fight their fights within the group. We are here to realize their dream , called Blueman.
The last picture is a photo of the students who made up the robot.
The others are an elaboration of how the base of the pack will look like.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Necessities
-Aluminium plates of 1.5mm and 2mm
-Aluminium tube of diameter 80mm by a length of 600mm
-Nuts and Bolts
-High density PU-Foam
Step 2: Making of the Feet
To create the feeling that you are in the shoes of Blueman, we have ensured that the experience is as realistic as possible. By using a hinge in the middle of the foot, it feels you walk like a robot.
The base is filled with high density polyurethane foam for a firm and strong feeling.
This is how you make it, WATCH OUT! This is for one foot .
- Start by cutting out the bottom and top of the foot ( 230mm / 350mm ) (fig. 1)
- At both, you attach a new plaque ( 230mm / 125mm ), from the front to the middle, 100mm (fig. 2)
- Now we have two pieces of PU foam necessary (230mm by 248mm by 125mm ) (fig. 3)
- Place the pieces of polyurethane foam against the middle plate
- Put one halve on the other an attach the hinge between the two halves
Step 3: Making of the Lower Part of the Leg
The second step is to make the lower part of the leg.
- You start by cutting out the sides, you will need two sides for one leg. (fig. 1)
- Then you cut out the front ( 230mm / 300mm) (fig. 2)
- Weld the sides on the top half of the foot
- The last step is to weld the front as reinforcement on a height of 125mm above the foot
Step 4: Making of the Upper Part of the Leg
The third step is to make the thigh.
- You start by cutting out the two sides. (fig. 1 = inside, fig. 2 = outside)
- Then you determine the pivot point of the knee.
- The hinge is secured with a nu and bolt, and washers as reinforcement.
- Now the two sides move apart and it is not really firm so we make a reinforcement
which connects them (fig. 3)
- As a final step we take some PU-foam with the length of the outeside leg and we attach it on the top
(Later, the upperbody will attach to this)
The legs are now finished!
Step 5: Making of the Upper Body
The upper body is not that difficult.
- You start with two identical pieces, 75mm wide and 750mm long (take a double layer each) (fig. 1)
- You bend the pieces at a length of 450mm around your shoulders
- Then you make a long piece of 75mm wide and a length of 1224mm. (fig. 2)
- Attach the two shorter pieces in the middle with a small angle in between.
- Then we make a stabilizer that holds the two shorter pieces togetherand makes it stronger. (fig. 3)
This is a trapezoid with sides 215mm and 275mm and a height of 425mm.
You hang this at a height of about 130mm
Step 6: Making the Shoulders
For the shoulder pieces we need a tougher form
- Cut out the shape of fig. 1, this is attached to the top of the schoulder
- Through this hole slides a tube where the armes will be attached to (fig. 2)
Step 7: Making of the Arms
- To make an arm , you need two beams.
One of 150mm by 150mm with a length of 500mm (weld fig.1 & 2 togheter)
And one 160mm by 160mm with a length of 500mm (weld fig.3 & 4 togheter)
- On the first beam you weld a plate with a hole of 50mm so the side is closed (fig. 5)
- On the second beam you weld a plate so the side is closed (fig. 6)
- Make holes in two opposite sides of each bar, it is the pivot point
- Provide some washers to fill the space when you insert the nuts and bolts for the pivot point
Step 8: Making of the Bolt Joint
We have created a homemade ball joint so you're not limited with the movements.
- Make two half square boxes without a top so when you put them togheter you get a full square box
- Make a ball with a bolt attached to
- In one of the small boxes, you make a hole, big enough for a bolt,
but not bog enough for the ball to get trough
- Put the ball inside the boxes and weld them together
- In the upper arm you just made, you cut a square hole in de side, with the side of the ball joint box.
- place the box inside the hole and weld it togheter so the bolt of the ball is facing towards the inside
Step 9: The End Result
the end result is a cool robot suit and a lot of happy faces!