Introduction: Crispy Masala Vadai Recipe - Who's Hungry
I'm back with another tea-time snack.
A popular South Indian tea-time snack and a street food made using skinned split Bengal gram i.e Chana Dal.
Masala meaning a mixture of spices are added to the coarsely ground chana dal mixture to make these crispy.
If you are looking for Street style masala vada, this recipe may be for you.
Absolutely delicious and crunchy!
Step 1: Ingredients
Chanadal - 200g or 1 cup
Cinnamon Stick - 1 inch
Chopped Ginger - 1/2 tsp
Garlic - as required
Fennel/Saunf - 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 1 sprig
Green chilies - 1 or 2
Mint Leaves - 3 sprigs
Chopped onion - 1 small
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Salt - as required
Oil - for deep fry
Step 2: Soak Chana Dal
- Wash chana dal.
- Soak it in 1/2 - cup of water for 1 hour.
Step 3: Chop the Required Items
- Chop the green leaves.
- Chop the green chilies.
- Chop the Onions.
Step 4: Drain the Water
- Drain the water to a bowl, use this water for grinding, if required.
- Keep aside for 10 - 20 minutes.
Step 5: Ginger-Garlic Paste
- Add ginger and few pieces of garlic into a mixer jar.
- Add cinnamon, fennel seeds to the garlic paste to make it flavor good.
Step 6: Grinding Process
- Add chana dal to a mixer jar.
- Add 1/2 Tsp of onion pieces and 1/2 of green chilies.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and salt.
- Grind the items into a fin coarse paste.
Step 7: Transfer to a Utensil
Add chopped onions, green leaves, and chilies to the mixture.
Step 8: Mixture Is Ready
- Add 1-2 Tsp of oil and add it to the mixture.
- The Masala vada mixture is ready.
Step 9: Grease a Plastic Paper
Flatten the vada ball to desired size and thickness.
Step 10: Frying
- Heat oil for deep frying in a kadhai.
- Keep the heat to medium.
- Carefully and gently drop the flattened mixture, one at a time into the hot oil.
- Flip when the color changes to light golden brown.
- Turn the heat to low, when both the sides turn golden brown.
That's all Foodie's
Enjoy your tea-time with Crispy Masala Vadai.
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017