Introduction: DIY Archery Target - Puzzle Mats
i'm new to archery and i just got my own bow. i'd like to shoot at home but unfortunately the straw targets offered from the range won't fit in a car or cab, so i have to DIY.
i built this thing for about 2 days. 1 day is enough, but i ran out of materials and the store's closed.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
forgive me... i have a bad habit of crafting things without planning. this instructable would just serve as an idea for you in case you wanna make one. you can make use of your own specifications if you wish.
[1.] 1" x 1" x 10" wood (i used about 4 pieces of these)
[2.] 1" nails
[3.] 2" nails
[4.] wood glue
[5.] wood putty
[6.] sand paper or electric sander
[7.] 3" x 3" x 10" wood (i used about 2 pieces)
[8.] 4 pieces of casters/wheels
[9.] plastic mesh or chicken wire
[10.] puzzle mats
[11.] metal angle braces
[12.] carpet (1m x 1m) - the ones used for car trunks
[13.] varnish or wood paint (optional)
Step 2: Preparing Puzzle Mats
puzzle mats comes in a pack of 10s with 1ft x 1ft dimension. i laid down and connected 9 pieces all together to create a wall of 3ft x 3ft in dimension. stacked them together until they're about 1 foot thick.
i was hoping to have plain puzzle mats but the store have mixed some with alphabets and animal designs. i just placed them in the center of the pile so pieces won't scatter.
Step 3: Creating the Box
the box is where the puzzle mats would be kept all together. using the 1" x 1" woods, i came up to this design. i used some scrap plywood from the backyard to make the walls and flooring. the size of the box is an inch bigger than 3ft x 3ft x 1ft. i've made the allowance so that i could slip more sheets from above in case i need to.
the angle braces serves as reinforcement so the whole thing won't wobble. i'm not a good carpenter, so i need this.
for the back side, i placed the plastic mesh intended to stop the arrows in case they punched all the way through, which i doubt because of the puzzle mats' thickness. metal chicken wire can be used but i don't wanna scratch my arrows. i made a separate square at the same measurement of my box, then nailed the mesh onto it, spreading it evenly. then i nailed them to the back side of the box to make it even tighter.
Step 4: Adding the Feet and Stacking Up Puzzle Mats
i used the 3" x 3" wood to make the feet. it's heavy, yes... but it makes the whole thing stable. i used the 3" nails to keep the heavy wood together.
i placed the casters/wheels underneath for mobility in case i wanna shoot at some place else.
cracks and spaces (because i'm not a good carpenter) are treated with wood putty. i used an electric sander to smoothen the whole thing after the putty had hardened overnight. sandpaper is used best with a lot of patience, which i dont have...i mean patience.
then i placed the puzzle mats neatly inside the box (wires are just temporary).
Step 5: Carpet Face
to make it neat-looking in front, i nailed/stapled the carpet on a square i made out of 1" x 1" wood. then nailed it to the box's front to make it tighter. i trimmed the excess carpet from the sides.
i added up more sheets of puzzle mats from above to compress it more until there's a slight bulge at the carpet.
(removed the wire of course, and the apple target.)
you may use varnish or wood paint to make it pretty. haven't done mine yet.
Step 6: All Done! Now It's Time to Shoot...
target faces are usually made of paper. these can be posted on the carpet by 1" nails (push pins are not a good idea, they would only be sent flying because of the impact).
i have issues of melted foam on my arrows. but i learned from an archery forum site, running soap onto it would do the trick. dry of course.
with it's thickness, arrows don't... well seldom punch through the back side. as a remedy, i slipped some corrugated cardboards in between some puzzle mats.
the whole thing is not perfect, but as i've said... just to give you an idea. this thing works for me... for now, until the next instructable.
comments are welcome, thanks!