Intro: Deep Fried Fritters With Indian Borage Leaves
Indian Borage, also known as Spanish Thyme and Cuban Oregano is a medicinal plant which is highly aromatic and has many uses in Ayurvedic medicine. The leaves are traditionally used in treatment of sore throats, cough, nasal blockage and many other such ailments. The leaves can also be used in cooking to add flavor to the dishes.
This instructable is about making deep fried fritters with the leaves, which is tasty, has a pleasant aroma and also good for health.
Step 1: Indian Borage Plant
Indian Borage is a succulent herb with highly aromatic stems and leaves. Even if you touch the leaves your fingers will smell like the herb. You can very easily grow this plant in pots from a small cutting.
This plant's Binomial name is "Plectranthus amboinicus"
Harvest the leaves
- Harvest young stems from the plant with about 20 to 25 leaves
- Collect the leaves and discard the stems
- Wash the leaves in clean water and keep aside.
Step 2: Other Ingredients Required
- One cup of Chickpea flour
- Half a cup of rice flour
- One and half teaspoon of Red chili powder
- One teaspoon of Cumin seed powder
- A pinch Asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying.
Step 3: Make Batter
- Mix all ingredients like Chickpea flour, Rice flour, Red chili powder, Cumin seed powder, Asafoetida and salt in a container.
- Add water in small quantities and mix well to make the batter.The batter should be of medium consistency and should not be very thick or runny.
Step 4: Deep Fry the Leaves With Batter
- Heat enough oil in a pan
- Soak the harvested leaves one by one in batter so that the leaves are well covered with batter on both sides
- Add the batter-coated leaves one by one in hot oil. You can add three to four leaves in on batch.
- When one side is half fried, turn the fritters over in oil and allow the other side to get properly fried
Step 5: Serve Hot
- Once the fritters are properly fried, remove from oil and allow the excess oil to drip down.
The aromatic Indian Borage fritters can be used as an evening snack.