I have two kids. One just started going to ski lessions and having paid 30 bucks for her mittens, I do NOT want her to loose them. So, what to do? The quick and easy fix was a length of yarn connecting the mittens through the sleeves. This works fine for the little little tikes but for my three-year-old? no. There has to be a better solution. I don't want her getting strung up (literally) because her mittens are attached to her. Like her ski bindings, can't we have some sort of quick-release in case of danger?
So i googled it. Mitten clips is what I found and they seemed like a good idea. Why not make a pair out of recycled material? A pair of suspenders would be perfect! NOPE! BETTER than perfect: I would still have elastic leftover for a pair of sweats or something.....
So, here is what is needed:
1 pair of suspenders; make sure ALL 4 clips are working
sewing machine (or can be done by hand but stitches will have to be short)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Take Apart Suspenders
1. you conserve the long piece of elastic for future use: Penance: 5 more minutes of sewing with a machine; 20m by hand
- rip the seams from 3 of the 4 suspender clips. The one clip you leave will be a non-adjustable clip; you will have 1 length of elastic, 3 clips, and one length of elastic with one clip still attached. Depending on how the suspenders were made, you may have 2 clamps and 1 suspender-guide leftover...
- find the two non-adjustable suspender clips (fixed ends) and cut 14cm from each fold. (see next step)
Step 2: Cut Elastic
1. You conserved elastic:
- you take your first mitten saver (clip still attached) and you cut the elastic so it is around 14cm long.
- From the same piece of elastic, you will cut a ~16cm piece of elastic. Hem one end, thread the clip through and sew close to the clip. Do the same with the other end.
- you have already cut each fixed suspender clip so that it has a 14cm piece of elastic attached.
- for each piece, thread a clip through the elastic. Fold the elastic over twice, making a good hem. Stitch the width of each elastic so that the clip is permanently in place.
Step 3: Done!
clip one end of the finished mitten-saver to your jacket and the other end to the glove. Piece of cake!
Participated in the
Sew Warm Challenge