Intro: Hearty Eggplant Pizza
I have two words for you:
Eggplant and Pizza
Look, there's no meat on this, ok? But I promise that eggplant is one of the best primary toppings in the absence of meat. Also, there's no rule here that says you can't add your own meat.
This recipe makes two 12" pizzas.
Step 1: Ingredients
For the dough:
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 package yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cups flour
For the topping:
- 1 large eggplant
- olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 red onion
- mozzarella cheese
- Pizza/pasta sauce
Step 2: Make the Dough
- Combine the 1 cup of lukewarm water with the package of yeast and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir.
- Add the sugar, garlic salt, and butter and beat well.
- Add half of the flour (1.5 cups) and beat until smooth.
- Add the other half of the flour and mix until the dough is firm enough to handle.
- Knead dough until smooth then divide into 2 equal balls.
- Grease your pans.
- Flatten and spread dough, covering the pan.
- Let the dough rise on the pan in a draft-free area.
Step 3: Prepare Topping Veggies
While the dough is rising, get started on the veggies!
- Slice the eggplant - mine were about 1/2 inch thick
- Place the slices on a cookie sheet and brush with olive oil. Flip and repeat for the other side.
- Broil in the oven until both sides are tender and golden brown, set aside.
- Slice up your red onion and tomato and mince your cloves of garlic, set aside.
Step 4: Top. That. Pizza!
Your dough has risen. Your veggies are prepped. It's time!
- Use a sauce of your choosing. I've found that I prefer pasta sauce over pizza sauce and tonight I'll be using a "Zesty and Spicy" pasta sauce. Spread evenly on the dough.
- (Remember to half each ingredient since there are 2 pizzas)
- Add the red onions and garlic, then top with a bit of mozzarella.
- Add the tomatoes and eggplant slices.
- Spread some sauce over the eggplant slices (so they don't burn).
- Sprinkle basil and parsley over the pizza.
- Sprinkle the eggplants with a bit of Parmesan.
- Top off the whole pizza with mozzarella.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes. You definitely want the crust to be able to hold up these hearty eggplant slices!
Step 5: Enjoy!
Slice your pizza and serve.
Eggplant is great for lasagnas, eggplant Parmesan, spaghetti, and surprise....pizza!
This recipe is super simple to make and tastes amazing. Enjoy!