This is a simple recipe for the best apple pie your taste buds will ever experience. It takes about 1 hour to prepare, and 50 minutes to bake, so you'll want to allow around 2 hours for preparation.
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/3 to 1/2 cup cold water
8 granny smith apples
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter/margarine
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Make Crust
1. Sift flour and salt together.
2. Cut in shortening with a fork until pieces are in small clumps.
3. Slowly sprinkle water over the crust, continuing to cut it with the fork until it reaches the consistency shown in the picture.
Step 2: Roll Crust
1. Pack crust it into 2 balls.
2. Roll one out a little bigger that the pie plate.
3. Roll the crust onto the rolling pin then unroll it on the pie plate.
Step 3: Make Filling
1. Peel and core eight granny smith apples.
2. Slice each apple into thin slices (12-16 slices).
3. Mix apples in mixing bowl with sugar, flour, and cinnamon until it reaches even consistency.
Step 4: Add Filling, Butter, and Top Crust
1. Place the filling in the pie crust.
2. Break up the butter/margarine into tsp size pieces and dot it on top of the apples.
3. Roll the top crust onto the rolling pin then unroll it over the apple filling.
Step 5: Trim and Seal Crust
1. Trim both crusts so that there is around ½ inch around the edge.
2. Rub a little bit of water on the edge of the bottom crust.
3. Crimp the crust together with your fingers.
Step 6: Bake and Serve
1. Cut vent holes in the top.
2. Sprinkle a cinnamon/sugar mixture on the top.
3. Bake at 400 for 50 minutes or until done.
Note: If it’s shiny, it’s not cooked. If the middle is not done but the edges are, fold aluminum foil around the edges.