Introduction: How I Fix My Dead Laptop of Over Two Years
Note** please vote if u appreciate this project,thank you
Have dumb this gateway NE522 laptop in my drawer for about two years probably because have got another to use, so when I saw this contest I know its worth fixing it and sharing all the repair processes am going to make it so easy so u can fix yours also. Also am going to be living a link on each step to watch as videos.
* MOSFET/transistor and diode
I got mine from local store.
* hot air gun and soldering paste
*tweezer, screw driver,
You can get them in local store.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Removing the Touchpad Assembly
* I remove all the screws at the bottom of the laptop,at the under cover and also from the battery compartment as shown in the image
* I separate the bottom panel from the touchpad assembly by inserting a plastic opening tool BTW them.
***note you can check your user manual on how to dismantle your own type of laptop however this process works for most.
Step 2: Separating the Connecting Wires and Belt
* I took an extra care in removing all the belts and adjoining wires from the port using tweezer in order to completely separate touchpad assembly from below assembly.
Step 3: Removing the Mother Board
* I remove all the five screws and connected wires on the motherboard which include the (LCD screen flex,and the hard drive ) and lift it up.
Step 4: Inspection and Diagnosing
* I did a physical inspection and notice a blown off transistor/ MOSFET this signal why the laptop is dead. You can test a failed one by yourself pls watch on the link https://youtu.be/PesCvN9losE
Step 5: Replacing the Mosfet
* using hot air gun and soldering paste
* clean the area with soft brush to remove dirt
*apply soldering paste on the area u are working
* grap the hot air gun there is two knob attached to it airflow and temperature adjust to your need
*when uve got your settings, carefully aimed the nozzle at d area back and forth until the solder begins to flow,carefully remove/ reposition the MOSFET by grabbing or nudging it with tweezer
* be sure to clean the board with methylated spirit to clean the board, watch on YouTube https://youtu.be/oaJvjZsxfP8
**note be careful with hot air gun and work on heat resistant materials.
Step 6: Testing
* I couple every thing and connected my charger thank Jehovah it brings out the charging light but its not powering on at least weve resurrect it ,* so I remove the motherboard again.
Step 7: Testing the Diodes for Shorts/failed
I started testing the diodes so I noticed a failed one, Pls click the link to watch how diode can be tested with your multimeterhttps://youtu.be/tLPeG2YVM3Y. I just removed it since its a parallel connection which means there are more than one deploy to do the same work but you can replace it using the method on step 5.
Step 8: Coupling and Testing.
I couple everything and tested it ,it work and that is how I brought the dead laptop of over two years back to life thank u for stopping to see my instructable.
This is an entry in the
Fix It Contest