Introduction: How to Make a Bow Tie for Prom
What you need:
An old scarf or 1 yard of fabric
2 old ties
bow tie pattern (found on the threadbanger blog)
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Getting Started
1. First thing is to get about one yard of fabric. We used fabric from an old scarf we found at a thrift store.
2. Go to the Blog at Threadbanger.com and download the bow tie pattern. Cut out the pattern from a large sheet of paper.
Step 2: The Shape
3. Place your pattern on top of your scarf, leaving enough room to cut out another pattern. Pin it down and cut it out. Once you've cut out the pattern once, lay it down on the remaining fabric, pin it down and cut it out again.
4. Lay your two pieces on top of each other so that the correct sides are facing each other. Pin them together and sew along the edges. But, make sure you leave a 1-2 inch gap in the very middle.
5. Using something like a pencil or a paintbrush, turn the bow tie right-side-out.
Step 3: The Inner Facing
6. Grab two old ties, and carefully remove the inner facing from the middle.
7. Lay the inner facings on top of each other so that the bigger ends are opposite of each other, roughly about the size of your bow tie. Simply pin them in the middle. Lay your bow tie on top, to check the length, and sew the two pieces of inner facing together. Cut off the extra pieces (the thin part of the inner facings).
8. Lay the tie down on the inner facing. Pin the tie down, and cut out the shape on the inner facing.
9. Now, just insert your inner facing through that little gap you left open, again using that pencil or paintbrush to push out all of the corners flat.
Step 4: The Finally
10. Lastly, sew up the gap, run an iron over the whole thing and you've got yourself a bow tie.
If you are a girl, and feel as if you may be in need of a new dress for the prom rather than a bow tie, check out our episode at Threadbanger.com, or our Instructable on how to create an ultra-cool prom dress out of a vintage 80's dress. Now, if you want to learn how to tie a bow tie, you are watching the wrong tutorial. Check out some videos at Youtube. But, once you get it, you'll be an absolute hunk at the prom!