Recently, i also found that the few buttons on my Tv remote had stopped working. The only solution i knew was to buy a new remote from market. Soon, i bought a new remote but found that its quality was nowhere near to the original remote and i was not able to find a good quality genuine remote.
I decided to do a bit of research and found that the bottom surface on the buttons of a remote is coated with a conductive paint, which over the period of time gets degraded and reduces the responsiveness of the buttons.
Do you know, you can just use a piece of food wrapping aluminium foil and make the remote as good as new? Many people don't, so, i decided to make an instructable, so that anyone can easily repair their remote controls in just few minutes at home.
Step 1: Watch the Video
As i always say, a video is a wonderful tool that provides deep insight to the procedure and makes it easy to follow. However, it is also recommended to visit next steps for additional details and images.
Step 2: Required Tools
- Food wrapping Aluminium Foil
- Super Glue
Note: you can also buy a electrical paint from market and use it to repair the remote but it is very costly compared to a required tiny piece of aluminium foil.
Step 3: Identify Non - Working Buttons
- The first and most important step is to identify the non working buttons.
- On a piece of paper, write down the names of all the buttons.
- One by one press the buttons and check if it works fine or requires any fix.
- Carefully check and note down all the buttons.
- This step is important so that you don't have to repeat the process soon for other buttons that are about to stop working.
- Its better to repair any button that shows even slight non-responsiveness.
Step 4: Disassemble Remote
- Remove the batteries from the remote control.
- Look for any screws around the body.
- Generally, there will be only about 1 or 2 screws.
- Using the Screwdriver, unscrew all the screws.
- Hold the remote firmly and apply some pressure at the sides.
- You will find a side slightly moving in or out.
- That will the side to begin opening the remote case.
- Carefully open the case and separate the PCB.
Step 5: Completely Clean Dust
- Using a soft brush, clean the dust of the PCB.
- You can also use alcohol wipes or isopropyl alcohol solution to completely clean the PCB. (It's completely optional)
- If there is too much dust then you can also wash the remote buttons and the case (never wash the PCB).
- Keep the body case and button pad to dry for sometime.
Step 6: Cut Aluminium Foil
- Take a piece of aluminium foil.
- Using scissors, carefully cut pieces of the foil equal to the size of buttons.
- Apply a drop of super glue on the surface of button and paste the piece of aluminium foil.
- Make sure that the aluminium foil sticks well and is completely flat to the surface.
- Repeat the steps for all the buttons that needs to be fixed.
Note: Super Glue sometimes is not a very good option to use with rubber. If you have any other adhesive like fevibond or araldite, they might prove a better option on the rubber surface.
Step 7: Testing
- After verifying, assemble the remote control together.
- Insert the batteries and you will see that the remote control now works as good as new.
It is a very rare incident when the PCB of a remote control gets damaged. Mostly, there is always the problem with few buttons and because of which the remote has to be changed but now no more. Use this simple trick and easily repair any non-working buttons on a remote.
So Friends, this here concludes the tutorial. In case you might have missed, watch the video and see how i fixed non-working buttons on my remote control.
Use this method once and you will never have to buy a new remote again. Don't forget to share your experiences in the comments section below.
Stay Tuned and SUBSCRIBE to receive regular updates. You can also contact me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can also SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube Channel GOODTECH - Creativity And Science, where i frequently post new and creative content.
Thanks For Your Support..!!
bbqrooster made it!