Introduction: How to Make Baked Ziti
Do you love lasagna but hate the hassle? If so Baked Ziti is for you! In this instructable, Chrissy teaches you her simple, delicious, and cost effective recipe for baked ziti. Your family will thank you for trying this dish!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1lb box of Ziti or Penne Pasta
- 3lbs Ground Hamburger
- 36oz Tomato Sauce
- 8oz Mozzarella Cheese
- 15oz Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 Tbs Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tbs Oregano
- 2 Tbs Sugar
Step 2: Preparation
1. Put a pot of well salted water on to boil.
2. Add the hamburger meat to your pan to begin cooking.
3. Finely chop 2-3 cloves of garlic and add them to the pan.
4. Add ~1Tbs of Crushed Red Pepper.
5. Add 1 1/2 Tbs of Italian Seasoning and 1 1/2 Tbs of Oregano.
6. Mix well and continue to stir as the meat browns.
7. Your water should now be at a full boil. Pour in the Penne Pasta.
8. When the meat is completely browned, drain off the grease and return pan to the stove.
9. Taste test and adjust spices as needed.
10. Pour the tomato sauce in with the drained meat and stir in.
11. Pour in about 2Tbs of sugar and stir in.
12. Now let the meat sauce simmer for a couple of minutes.
13. The pasta should finish up about the same time the sauce is done simmering. Remove both from the stove.
14. Drain the pasta and pour it into a large mixing bowl.
15. Add a dash of garlic salt to the pasta and toss it a bit to mix it around.
16. Add the ricotta cheese to the hot pasta and mix in completely.
17. Take a baking pan and pour a layer of sauce into the bottom, and spread it around evenly.
18. Now pour the pasta over the sauce and even out the layer.
19. Pour on one more layer of sauce and smooth it out.
20. Top the dish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
21. Place in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
22. Remove when the cheese is fully melted and begins to brown.
Step 3: Enjoy!
At less then $1.75 per hearty serving and around 15 minutes prep time, this dish should be in the repertoire of every busy family!
1lb Penne Pasta .............. $1.00
36oz Tomato Sauce ....... $1.50
8oz Mozzarella Cheese ... $2.00
15oz Ricotta Cheese ....... $3.25
2-3lbs Ground Beef . $6.00-9.00
Total 8 Servings ... $13.75
Price per Serving .... $1.72