This is my first instructable, so bear with me. My project is an 8x8 cube light inspired by the Mario Bros question block. It took me about a month to complete, mainly cause I am easily distracted. Each cube took around 3-5 hours to complete.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Parts
2 - 8" clear acrylic cubes (Amazon)
4 - 8" clear acrylic squares (Etsy)
350 - orange 1/2" square tile (Etsy)
350 - black 1/2" square tile (Etsy)
2 - plastic wiring boxes
2 - light sockets
2 - nipples
2 - locking nuts
2 - 12ft extension cords/lamp wires
2 - light bulbs (LED or CFL)
Step 2: Prep the Parts
The custom orange tiles I got (from Etsy) were not the right color orange that I needed, so I ended up spraying them a darker orange (hard to tell from the picture, but side by side you can see the super bright vs the painted dark orange). The 3 colors used for the cube are a cheese orange/yellow, pumpkin dark orange and black. The inside box got colored cheese, while the tiles needed a coating of pumpkin to give the right contrast. After everything dried it was on to assembly.
Step 3: Assemble the Body
A straight edge is crucial to get everything lined up. It took an hour per side to complete doing 3 sides per cube. I used a print out of the block I found online and blew it up to scale (I wasn't worried about it being pixelated :P) A little dab of super glue on each tile and they are set. Once its down, theres no going back, that glue dried fast and strong!
Step 4: Wiring the Guts
I went through a bunch of different interior lights be decided a traditional light fixture would give the best results. I went with an LED 40w equivalent which doesnt throw much heat but is still plenty bright. For the base I used an electrical box meant for ceiling fans and a 12ft extension cord to attach to the socket fixture. I cut a small hole at the bottom of the box to feed the wire into. I attached it to the base using a medium nipple and locking nut. Then I couldnt figure out a good way to secure it to the bottom without using screws, so I hot glued it in. The base has a removable bottom cap, which is what I glued down, so I could still remove the base if I ever needed to. I glued some extra tiles to the bottom of the cube's lid so they would not slide around, then plugged it in to test!
Step 5: Finish!
After both guts where put in, all that was left was mounting to the wall. I used some channeling to hide the wire. I also decided not to use the colored lids as they made the room too orange. The final step will be getting a pedal switch So I can turn them on and off while at my desk.
Participated in the