I love onion bags for crafting! I have so much more fun creating wrapping from throwaway items than shopping for them at the store. Each creation has its own unique style. The Instructables website has challenged me to recycle. I have not always saved packaging from things that I have purchased over the years until I joined this site. I always look at something closely to see if it can be made into something pretty as well as useful. In-fact I will set something aside knowing the future plan for it and then it will disappear. My husband of course did not realize I had special plans for the item. Here is how I converted an onion bag for gift wrapping.
Step 1: Supplies
- 1 Onion bag
- 1 Piece of ribbon, jute, rope, anything that you can use for a tie.
- 1 piece of White or colored cardboard approximately 4 X 6 inches ( I used an index card and folded it in half and trimmed some off it was kind of thin.)
- Colored marker
- Pinking scissors
- Straight edge
- Hole punch
- Tape optional
Step 2: Cutting the Onion Bag
- I trimmed off the top section of the bag leaving the company name.
- The bottom section is what we will use to make the gift bag.
Step 3: Inserting the Gift
- Insert the gift centering it in the bag.
- I know the bag is larger than needed but I wanted to save the extra for a different package down the line.
- The extra width also made the top fuller for a nicer appeal.
Step 4: Folding the Onion Bag
- Fold the sides of the bag towards the back of the Onion bag.
You may want to tape or glue this part.
Step 5: Tie the Bag
- I used jute to tie the bag but a bright blue ribbon would have set it off.
- You will need to work a little with the top section to make it flare out.
Step 6: Name Tag
- Cut the cardboard the size you want.
- I like the larger book markers so I made mine large.
- Pink the edges if you like the look.
- You could get creative with the card and do some stamping., write a message, poem, name or what ever you want on the name tag.
- Add the ribbon.
Step 7: Attaching the Name Tag
- Attach the name card to the bag.
Step 8: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
I save all of my onion bags because they are practical to make bags and use for embellishing craft projects. I have made them into very cute shopping bags. They are functional and classy looking. Thank you for stopping by and please visit again soon. I have some exciting, unique and useful projects lined up.