How to make these easy, yet delicious treats.
Step 1: Gather
1. One 8oz package softened cream cheese
2. One 16 oz package Oreos
3. 12 oz of bittersweet baking chocolate
1. Cookie sheet
2. Waxed paper
3. Microwave safe bowl
4. Large mixing bowl
5. Wooden spoon
6. Two forks
Yield: About 30 truffles
Step 2: Prepare the Oreos
(1) Take all of the Oreos out of the package and crush them into fine crumbs. Include the cookie and the cream filling.
Place the cookies into a gallon sized Ziplock bag, using a rolling pin to crush them. You may also use a food processor on low speed.
(2) Pour crumbs into a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: Mix
(1) Take out 1/4 cup of the crumbs and set aside for later.
(2) Place the softened cream cheese into the mixing bowl with the Oreos and use a wooden spoon to mix it until creamy.
(3) With your hands, take bite-sized pieces of the mixture and roll into a small ball. Place each ball on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet.
(4) When all the balls have been formed, place the cookie sheet into the freezer for about 45 minutes or until the balls have hardened.
Step 4: Melt
(1) After the truffles have hardened, break up the chocolate squares, place in a microwave safe bowl, and melt according to package instructions.
Generally this is on low power for 30 seconds at a time, stirring often.
Step 5: Dip
(1) After the chocolate has been melted, place one or two truffles into the bowl at a time.
(2) Roll the balls around until they are completely covered in chocolate.
(3) Using two forks, remove one truffle at a time and replace it onto the waxed paper lined cookie sheet.
(4) Immediately sprinkle some of the remaining Oreo crumbs onto the wet chocolate.
Step 6: Freeze and Enjoy
(1) When all of the balls have been covered in chocolate and Oreo crumbs, place the cookie sheet back in the freezer for 5-10 more minutes, or until the chocolate has hardened.
(2) Remove the truffles from the cookie sheet and display on a plate for everyone to enjoy.
(Or you may want to hide them, because they tend to disappear quickly.)