- I made this super simple DIY Pallet Wood Paper Towel Holder for my latest project video,it is a beginner project anyone could try using hand tools or power tools.
The video is on my YouTube channel BCDesign
Items you will need for this build include:
- 1 pallet board 26.5" long x 4" wide
- 2 brass hooks
- 1 piece of broken broom handle or a dowel 1" x 13"
- milk paint of your choice
- 1 paint brush
- Screws for the brass hooks and mounting the holder to wall
- Wall plugs (depending on material holder being mounted too)
- Wood glue
- Water based lacquer
- Scroll saw / fret saw
- Mitre saw / hand saw
- Power drill / Hand drill
Step 1: Cut Your Wood!
- You will need to have the most common type/size of paper towel holder you use at hand to make sure these measurements will work for you,I am using an average size paper towel roll most I have used will work on this project except the giant super size rolls.
- Cut 2, 4" pieces off your main board
- The back piece should measure 18.5"
- Cut the 1" dowel /broom handle down to 13" long
- All the components are now cut to the proper length
Step 2: Cut Out the Slots for the Dowel
- The next step is to cut out the slots for the dowel to rest in
- follow the drawing above to layout the cut
- Make sure both lines are parallel, find the center point and use a compass to make the curve at the end of the slot
- Cut out the first slot using your fret saw or scroll saw
- Use this first piece to mark out the 2nd piece and cut it also
Step 3: Mark, Cut & Drill the Back Board
- I used a paint can to draw curves on both ends of the back piece
- I then cut the curves with my scroll saw,use a fretsaw/jigsaw if you have no scroll saw.
- Measure in 3.5" from each end of the back piece & put the the slotted side pieces against the line and mark each side so I would know where to drill for screws
Step 4: Mark & Drill Mounting Holes & Mark Position of Hooks
- Measure in 1 3/4" from the ends of the back piece and draw a 90o line,this is the center line to place your hook on
- Mark the screw position of the hooks,then make a 3rd hole for the wall mounting screw and drill a recessed pilot hole for the wall mounting screw
- This will allow you to mount the paper roll holder to the wall then cover the mounting screw with the hook and screw the hook down tight.
Step 5: Attach the Side Pieces
- Add some wood glue between the lines you marked for the side pieces
- Use screws to secure the side pieces
- Your paper holder is now assembled
Step 6: Milk Paint & Lacquer
- I used powdered milk paint in a light blue grey color to paint the paper holder.
- I mixed the paint with more water than recommended as I wanted to see the wood texture and grain through the paint
- I used a water based lacquer over the milk paint.
- Add a cute puppy to your project
Step 7: Drill Holes Wall Plugs and Mount the Paper Towel Holder
- Add the wall mounting screws into the pre drilled holes and drive them in until they stick from the rear of the towel holder.
- Put the holder against the wall level it and press against the wall so the mounting screws leave marks for you to drill holes for your wall plugs
- You can also screw straight into your wall studs if you can find them
- Mount the paper towel holder & add your hooks to cover the mounting screws!
Step 8: Finished!!
- This was a really simple and fun project!
- I made a video for my channel BCDesign, please watch thumbs up and subscribe!