Western Sandwiches are my favourite way to pack protein and fibre all in one quick and easy meal. This sandwich will take you less than 15 minutes to whip up and it's great for lunch or dinner. You can also alter this recipe by adding any fixings you desire. I love having peppers, mushrooms, red onions in mine and sometimes I will add some cheddar cheese or tomatoes. There are no rules to a Western sandwich so go wild with it.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 7 MINS | COOK TIME 8 MINS
- 4 SLICES OF BREAD
- 2-4 EGGS SCRAMBLED (QUANTITY DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH EGG YOU PREFER IN YOUR OMELETTE, I USUALLY ONLY COOK 1 FOR MYSELF)
- 1 RED OR YELLOW PEPPER DICED
- 1/4 PINT OF WHITE BUTTON MUSHROOMS DICED (APPROX. 3-4 MUSHROOMS)
- 1/4 MEDIUM SIZED RED ONION DICED
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above
- In a medium size skillet set on medium heat, add your olive oil and fry your onions until translucent.
- Add in peppers and mushrooms and fry until softened.
- Meanwhile, toast your bread.
- Once your veggies are all cooked, pour in your scrambled eggs and fry on each side until eggs are cooked and not runny.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slide the omelette onto your toasted bread and serve with any condiments you like. I'll usually have mine with some low sodium organic ketchup. Enjoy!