Since 1999 the fuel injectors have been in service however in the past year the car has been idling rough and all efforts to fix this has had little effect. Also, with the recent increase in gasoline prices locally I felt the time has come to put in new injectors.
I used some extra steps apart from the Honda manual to make the extraction and installation easier.
The procedure I used is similar for most fuel injected cars.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Relieving Fuel Pressure.
The banjo bolt at the fuel rail had to be removed using a 17mm socket. Now there is no residual pressure in the fuel rail. There are 2 washers that must be put back during installation.
Step 2: Disconnecting Wiring, Tubing and Lines.
Each of the 4 injector harnesses were unclipped. The vacuum tubing to the fuel pressure regulator was removed as well as the fuel return line.
Step 3: Removing the Fuel Rail and the OEM Injectors.
The rail is held by two 10mm hex nuts and three 10mm bolts which needed to come out. The fuel rail came out easily by pulling away from the intake manifold.
Step 4: Examination of the Oem Injectors and Fuel Injector Ports.
As you can see the 16 year old injectors are caked with waxy deposits. Even the injector ports has deposits. Almost like earwax!
I carefully cleaned the ports as best as I could. I wanted a good port for the new injectors.
To get the oem injectors out was easy. Just pull out!
Step 5: Comparing the OEM and New Injectors.
Even though the injectors I ordered from Amazon are remanufactured, they came packaged really well.
Huge difference in cleanliness with oem and New however the oem discharge ports are still OK.
Both injectors have a resistance of approximately 12.2 ohms.
Step 6: Assembly of the New Injectors Onto the Rail and Completion!
Installation is the reverse of removal. I was very careful to put the rail and the 4 injectors into their ports.
Once fully tightened, I noticed the new injectors did not move freely. The oem ones did rotate easily in their sockets.
Prior to starting with the new injectors, I turned the ignition on and let the fuel pump flood the rail. I put the key back to accessories. I repeated this process 3 times before making a first start of the engine.
Now my car idles much smoother and has more power for acceleration. Fuel economy has gone from 12.3km/l to 14.1km/l. I'm extremely pleased! Not bad for a 1 hour job.
My fuel economy has jumped! I'm getting an extra 100km per full gas tank!