Intro: Simple and Delicious BBQ Teriyaki Ribs
I love ribs and enjoy cooking and sharing them with others. I have, however, grown frustrated with preparing slabs of ribs when having large groups over. Space on the BBQ also becomes unmanagable when trying to deal with a large group at home. The method documented here simplifies cooking for large groups and feedback recieved is that they taste great!
While the method is simple, cook time is still long to ensure a tender (and tasty) meal is produced. Allow about 5 hours for the meat to marinate and cook through.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Soya sauce
- Brown sugar
- Sesame Oil
- Ribs (either side or back, back is my preferred cut though)
- Sesame Seeds
Step 2: Prepare
This is cooking at its most basic!
- Cut the ribs up into individual ribs and place into a deep dish.
- Mix one part brown sugar to two parts soya sauce. You will need enought to half fill the dish.
- Add sesame oil to the mix.
- Grate ginger in to personal taste.
- Pour over the ribs and cover with tin foil. You may need to add a bit of water if the marinade smells too strong (dependant on strength of soya sauce).
- Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours to marinate, turn once or twice to ensure all ribs are coated.
Step 3: Cook
A long cook time is used to ensure the meat becomes tender and delicious.
- Place the covered trays in the BBQ and set the burners to maintain a temperature of about 350 deg f. Try to avoid using the burners directly under the trays to ensure that nothing gets burnt.
- Leave for approx 2.5 hrs
- Check to see how tender the meat is, it should be just about falling off the bone.
You can serve now but I like to take a further step that improves both the look and the taste. Be careful not to overdo this step as you may dry the ribs out.
- Turn up the burners on your BBQ.
- Remove the ribs from the dish and grill.
- While they are cooking, use a basting brush and give them a few coatings of soya sauce and brown sugar mix.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds whilst grilling to ensure they are slightly toasted.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy
Remove the ribs from the BBQ and serve.
These go great with potato cubes and a salad or just enjoy on their own!