Introduction: VALKA Tribal Mask ( How to Train Your Dragon)
For 30 years I have been making costumes for my kids and their friends. Now I can make one for myself.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
The base of the mask is butcher paper and duct tape. This was formed over a wig block (mannequin head). This part of the headpiece just covers the face area. Once I was satisfied with the size and shape of the mask I added eye holes and a mouth section. This was done by cutting out the eye and mouth areas and then taping them back in place with duct tape on the inside of the mask. The eyes are slightly recessed ,but the mouth section is replaced level to the area it was cut from.
I made the horns for the top of the head in pairs of 2 to give them stability when attached to the head. The inside is a mid strength wire with a strip of quilt batting covering it. The wire and batting were then covered with strips of bias tape. A stretch fabric would have worked also ,but the benefit of using bias tape is that it can turn corners without bunching or folding . I started at the tip and wound the fabric tape down the length of the horn. At this stage resist the temptation of making the wrap too even. some area are thicker than others.
Once the hons were complete I glued them to the top edge of the mask. Goop adhesive was the one I used . It is strong but remains flexible.
The tusk were created in the same manner. When gluing in place to the sides of the mask open up the section where the mouth and mask meet and pinching the base of the tusk fit the tusk in the opening and glue in place.
After the glue is dry I coated the hole mask and horns with a construction spackling patch material. This gives the mask a textured, crude tribal look.
For the mouth and eyes I used a heavy white paper to cover over the eye and mouth sections. I wanted these to be a little smoother. I could make the lines and stitches on the face with strips of paper, also. These paper pieces were glued on with white glue. At this time I cut the slits for the eyes making sure they were even . I used a razor to cut through the layers.
The mask is base coated in teal craft paint. Using images from the How to Train your Dragon movie ,I painted on brown , burgundy and orange stripes on the horns. Once the paints were completely dry I lightly brushed a very watered down brown paint to give the facial features shadowing and more definition. This enhances the crude tribal look of the headpiece.
The back of the headpiece is a simple fitted hood that I made from a heavy burgundy fabric. After the mask part was done I glued velcro to the inside edge of the mask. The mask velcros onto the hood. My hood fits over the head and closes at the side neck.
The back of the headpiece is a simple fitted hood that I made from a
heavy burgundy fabric.
For a well fitted hood try on the hood inside out and trim away areas where there is excess fabric and then resew together. Do this before adding the velcro.
After the mask part was done I glued velcro to the inside edge of the mask. The mask velcros onto the hood. My hood fits over the head and closes at the front of the neck.