In this tutorial, you will learn what is Pepakura and how to use it.
This is short 6 step, comprehensive introduction into a world of paper models ;)
- work with paper,
- what type of paper (how hard / heavy),
- and what tools you need to start
Step 1: Paper
You will need a HARD, HEAVY, SOLID, THICK paper !
Ignore office paper which is soft, too thin, easy to bend = useless.
What you need is CARDSTOCK !
Card stock = paper with weights from 50 lb to 110 lb (about 135 to 300 g/m²).
I use 200 g/m² paper and I find it best combination to print on and work within smaller details.
Size / format of paper:
Step 2: "Mountain" Vs. "Valley" Fold
First time a lot of people may have a problem how to actually fold the paper:
- what are all the different lines (solid, dash, dash-dot-dash) ?
- what direction should you fold ?
- imagine a letter ... A ... you can "touch the top" edge of the paper
- basically fold the paper on its edge: DOWN
- "dash dash dash"
- _ _ _ _ _
- imagine a letter ... V ... in where you can "put your finger inside" the shape
- basically fold the paper on its edge: UP
- "dash DOT dash DOT dash"
- _ . _ . _ . _
- this is the line where you cut your shape out !
Step 3: Tools + Material + Software
- $50 - printer
- $5 -scissors
- $3 -plastic ruler
- $2 -plastic chopping board ... OR ... * $20 - cutting matt
- $5 to $10 -hobby knife=scalpel=X-Acto (exacto knife)
Price = $20
- programme = Pepakura Viewer (2 MB)
- file = model you want to print + build: cube.pdo (4KB)
- some basics: How-to-use-Pepakura-Viewer
- advanced stuff:How-to-use-Pepakura-Designer
Price = $FREE (PV) and $38 (PD)
EXTRA STUFF (optional)!
I find it more convenient to use a following stuff to make my work easier:
Step 4: Which Glue to Use ?
The choice is yours!
LIQUID PAPER GLUE
GOOD: if you use a small bit!
- no smell
- dries quick (3 to 5 mins)
- easy to use and is more precise
BAD: if you use a lot of it!
- hardens in 60 mins
- dries slower (5 to 15 mins)
- can soak your paper and distort it
- cannot redo mistake, once dried, it is glued forever
How much do you need?
My glue has 100 ml = 3.4 oz ... and I glued 50 pages.
HOT GLUE GUN
- hardens in 30 mins
- cools down + dries quick (2 mins)
- you can heat it and "move" your glued parts a bit if you made a mistake
- less accurate
- needs electricity
- burns your fingers if not careful
- smells a lot (makes you sick, headaches)
How much do you need?
Cannot help here. I got sick from the smell of it after I glued like 1 page of pepakura and the glue stick barely shrank.
- It is less precise, and it dries out way too fast for my taste.
- I do not use this glue and do not advise it.
- If you push hard on it, breaks down leaves big chunks all over which is bad.
Step 5: Print It ! ... Build It !
Now you have all the info you need to start building !
- Print it.
- Cut it out with scissors.
- Get details with a hobby knife.
- Glue it.
- Build it.
First 3 pictures = not Pepakura but custom papercraft !
The rest = real Pepakura example: Dragon_Priest_Mask
Fair warning !
Pepakura is really time consuming hobby !
My Dragon priest helmet took me 14 hours to complete:
- cutting the paper (3 hours)
- glue all parts (11 hours)
Well it depends on how handy and skilled you are :)
Step 6: What Next ?
All my PEPAKURA tutorials in GUIDE:
1.] What is Pepakura and how to start
2.] How to use Pepakura Viewer
3.] Your first Pepakura project
4.] How to use Pepakura Designer
5.] Pepakura Convert PDO to PDF
Comment, follow, favourite, send me PM !