Introduction: World's Easiest Vegan Burritos
I developed this recipe to make the tastiest, healthiest, and most abundant burritos for the least amount of effort. They are perfect for meal preppers and people on the go. They have a respectable macro breakdown for the health conscious, and all the ingredients are organic, vegan, and with no added oils.
This recipe literally involves tossing a bunch of stuff into your slow cooker with very minimal measuring. The recipe in this Instructable is delicious on its own, but you can customize and substitute ingredients to your liking easily.
This recipe makes 12-14 burritos, depending on how full you make them. They freeze and reheat beautifully, so they're perfect for meal planning.
Here's a quick video that lays out the entire recipe and process, enjoy!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2 C. - Diced Sweet Potatoes (1 bag frozen, or 1 large sweet potato)
- 1 C. - Brown Rice
- 1 Can - Sweet Corn (Undrained)
- 2 Cans - Black Beans (Undrained)
- 1/2 C. Salsa
- 1/4 C. - Taco Seasoning
- Or: Equal parts garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and dried cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 Tortillas (Corn or flour)
Step 2: Throw It All Together
- Throw all ingredients into your slow cooker and stir
- It will be very soupy
- Cook on high for 4 Hours, stirring occasionally
- The rice will absorb all the liquid and become very flavorful
- Have a taste test
- Adjust seasonings, add more rice, or add some water depending on the consistency
- Consistency should be a thick filling that sticks to your spoon
- This filling can be stored for up to two weeks in the refrigerator
Step 3: Build Burritos
- Lay out as many warm tortillas as you want to make at a time.
- Place a spoonful of filling on the center of each tortilla
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla
- Roll the back of the tortilla to the front, keeping the folded sides in place while the filling redistributes
This recipe makes 12-14 burritos if you use a "fajita size" flour tortilla. I usually use all the filling and make all the burritos at the same time, then I put them in freezer bags and freeze them for a week's worth of lunches. Reheat them for 2 minutes each in the microwave, and you've got a delicious healthy (and very cost-effective) meal. Even my non-vegan friends love how they taste!
- **Bonus Step** To really elevate these burritos: Toss them on a grill or griddle for a few minutes on each side to seal/char the tortilla, then top with guacamole, adobo sauce, pico de gallo, or caramelized onions and peppers with a squeeze of lime Delicious!
Thank you for reading this Instructable! Comment if you made this recipe or made any adjustments. Enjoy!