Tell us about yourself!

Complete Your Profile
  • Living out of a 2016 Ford Focus In San Francisco for 5 Days $135

    As long as your door or window is open you are fine.You are burning a Butane and Propane mix which are both in the CxHy family of some carbon and some hydrogen stuck together. When it burns with a lot of oxygen it makes CO2 and H2O and everything is great. When it burns in an enclosed space, it starts to run out of the oxygen and can only make CO, not CO2. The smaller and tighter sealed the space, the faster it happens. Your car seems pretty small and tight. Agreed it is way better than a gasoline stove that generates CO right off the bat or Natural Gas that actually has CO in it as part of the unburned mix but in the end it isn't a stove type issue. It is a chemistry of carbon issue.Actually internet searches turn up lots of concerns about this with regards to camping in tents but...

    see more »

    As long as your door or window is open you are fine.You are burning a Butane and Propane mix which are both in the CxHy family of some carbon and some hydrogen stuck together. When it burns with a lot of oxygen it makes CO2 and H2O and everything is great. When it burns in an enclosed space, it starts to run out of the oxygen and can only make CO, not CO2. The smaller and tighter sealed the space, the faster it happens. Your car seems pretty small and tight. Agreed it is way better than a gasoline stove that generates CO right off the bat or Natural Gas that actually has CO in it as part of the unburned mix but in the end it isn't a stove type issue. It is a chemistry of carbon issue.Actually internet searches turn up lots of concerns about this with regards to camping in tents but little actual data on CO. It seems there are endless photos of people having melted their tents due to flame ups (lighting the stove after having let too much gas escape. If I had one of the stoves in question, I'l lock it up turned on in the backseat of my Camry with a CO detector and just see what happens. I understand your door is open so no problem there, but I'm looking for the general guideline of is it minutes, hours or days before you pass out and die. I'm guessing you're knocked out in an hour and dead in two, but that's just a guess.

    Thoreau would be proud!Beware of cooking with a flame in a tiny enclosed area. People die from carbon monoxide poisoning in cars every year from doing just what is shown in your photo. Windows down is fine, but never be tempted to raise the windows to keep warm while cooking because you don't feel anything, you just get dreamy and drift away to death.On a more positive note, Chesapeake Light Boats has just released a fun trailer kit you build yourself with the same philosophy as yours. (I've made the boats they normally make.)

    View Instructable »