Introduction: 5 Minute Kitchen Roll Spectacles
Here is a great quick make for the kids if your ever short of a pair of "Nerd Specs" to finish off a fancy dress costume.
- Kitchen roll tube.
- Glue (hot melt is quicker).
- Marker pen.
Step 1: The Eye Pieces and Nose Bridge
- Mark and cut three 1cm (1/2 inch) rings from the end of the tube.
- Roll one of the rings into a tight circle and glue it.
- Glue all three pieces together side-by-side.
Step 2: The Side Arms
- Flatten what is left of the tube and draw the outline of the side arms on one side.
- Cut the outline whilst the tube is still in one piece.
- Once you have cut the outline, cut the tube along the folded/squashed edges to make two arms.
Step 3: Final Assembly
One you have the two arms and the eyepieces complete, all you need to do is glue the arms on the sides of the eyepieces. If you wish, you can re-enforce the sides of the glasses with those wooden coffee stirrers you find in coffee shops, but generally I find that the curve of the kitchen roll tube makes the whole thing nice and stable.
I hope you enjoy these, they are quick to make, endlessly adaptable, paintable and maybe, dare I say it, fashionable.
Participated in the
Cardboard Speed Challenge