Introduction: Cardboard Model Battleship:HMS Prince of Wales
I was thinking of buying a plastic model and assembling it,but when i checked them their prices were too high.Then I thought of one making from Cardboard and materials that can be taken from home.So I made a one with Cardboard.
In this Instructables I am showing how to make a Model Battleship from Cardboard.The model is British battleship HMS Prince of Wales,a king George V class battleship which were one of the most powerful and modern battleships in World War 2.For more information about the ship refer the site - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Prince_of_Wales_(53)
- Pen tube
- Paint(White,Black,Brown,Yellow Ochre)
- Marker Pens(Red,Blue)
- Hot Glue Sticks
- Toilet Paper Roll Cardboard
- Hot Glue Gun
Step 1: Hull Construction:Dimensions
- Cut out two triangles,two rectangles and two arcs from Cardboard according to the given diagrams.(Refer the photos)
- Take Cardboard strips of breadth 4 cm.
Step 2: Hull Construction:Construction
- Arrange 1 triangle,1 rectangle and 1 arc according to the photo given.(First:Triangle,Second:Rectangle,Third:Arc)
- Then paste the Cardboard strips around the arranged structure.
- Then paste the other triangle in the triangular side(front).the other rectangle in the middle and the other arc at the end.
Step 3: Painting the Deck
- Take the white paper and paste in the top of the hull.
- Take 2 parts of white paint,1 parts from brown and yellow ochre paint.When mixed together you will get wood plank color.Paint the wood plank color on the top(paper side).
Step 4: Superstructure First Part:Dimensions
- Cut out Cardboard Rectangles and other figures according to the dimensions given in the photos.
Step 5: Superstructure First Part:Construction 1
- Paste 1 (Length - 4 cm,Breadth 3 cm) rectangle 34 cm from the front and in the middle.Then paste other 2 same sized rectangles slanted.(Refer photo 2 from left to right).
- Paste the two rectangles(Length - 5 cm,Breadth - 3 cm)straight after the pasted rectangles.(Refer photo 3 from left to right).
- Then cover the remaining side by pasting the (Length - 6 cm,Breadth - 3 cm)rectangle.
- Then paste the other figure on top of it.
Step 6: Superstructure First Part:Dimensions 2
- Cut cardboard rectangles and other figures according to the given photos.
Step 7: Superstructure First Part:Construction 2
- From (Length - 2 cm)squares and (Length - 3 cm,breadth - 2 cm)rectangles make a diamond shape structure and paste the diamond figure on top of that.(Refer photo 1 from left to right).
- Then from remaining cardboard rectangles and squares make a cuboid on top of diamond structure.(Refer photo 2 from left to right).
- Roll some paper and paste it at the end of the bottom structure.Paste cardboard squares on top of the rolled paper.(Refer photo 3 & 4 from left to right).
Step 8: Superstructure Second Part:Dimensions
- Cut out cardboard figures according to the dimensions in the photos.
Step 9: Superstructure Second Part:Construction
- Paste the (Length - 6 cm,Breadth - 3 cm)cardboard rectangle and the(Length - 4 cm,Breadth - 3 cm)rectangles given in the photo 1(from left to right)
- Then paste the other rectangles.Then paste the triangular shaped cardboard on top of it.(Photo 2 from left to right)
- Then cut some rectangles and squares and then make a cuboid and paste it on top of the structure.Then paste a toothpick on the cuboid.(Photo 3 from left to right)
Step 10: Gun Platforms
- Cut out four cardboard figures according to the dimensions in the photo 1(from left to right)
- Then paste cardboard strips around them(except the straight side,see photo 2 from left to right)
- Paste two of them at the end in either side of Part 1 Superstructure and the other two in the front in either side of Part 2 Superstructure. (Photos 3 & 4 from left to right)
- Take a Cardboard Toilet Paper Roll of diameter 5 cm and height 1.5 cm and take circles of diameter 5 cm
- Then Paste the Cardboard Toilet Paper Roll at the front of the Part 1 Superstructure.Paste a circle in top of it.(Photo 6 from left to right)
- Paste another circle in front of the Cardboard toilet Paper Roll(Photo 6 from left to right)
- Paste the other two circles top of each other at the end of the Part 2 Superstructure(Photo 7 from left to right).
- Paste three rolled paper and strips of cardboard as a rectangle at the end of the ship(Photo 8 from left to right)
Step 11: Guns and Turrets
- Cut out Cardboard according to the dimensions in the photo 1
- Make structures from the Cardboard rectangles as in photo 2
- Paste cardboard on top of them and roll some paper and paste them as given in photo 3(In the photo 3 from left to right, for larger ones there should be four guns,but there are three because I used pen tubes and there is no space for a fourth one.I later replaced them with rolled paper and put four guns on them.In the photo 4 from left to right you can see the replaced four rolled paper guns).
- Paste the small turret on the cylindrical gun platform(Cardboard toilet Paper Roll)and one big turret on the circle in the front(Photo 5 from left to right)
- Paste the other turret on the circle in the back(Photo 6 from left to right)
- Take 8 rolled paper,16 (3 cm)toothpicks and 8 cardboard circles
- Paste the cardboard circles on top of the rolled paper.Then paste the 2 toothpicks on side of rolled paper(photo 8 and 9 from left to right)
- Need to make 8 of them
- Paste four of them in the Gun platforms and in the deck of Part 1 Superstructure facing frontwards(photo 10 from left to right)
- Paste the other four in the Gun platforms and in the deck of Part 2 Superstructure facing backwards(photo 11 from left to right)
- Cut out 3 cardboard rectangles(one small,one larger and the other one should be little larger than second one).Take 4 small toothpicks.(All should be same sized)
- Then paste the small cardboard slanted on large cardboard(photo 14 from left to right).Then paste the larger rectangle vertically on the slanted rectangle(photo 15 from left to right).Then paste the four toothpicks on the rectangle(photo 16 from left to right).Need to make four of them.
- Take two small rectangles and a toothpick.
- Then paste one rectangle slanted on the top of the other rectangle.(As done in the earlier gun)
- Paste the toothpick on the slanted rectangle(photo 18 from left to right)
- Need to make four of them.
Step 12: Other Details
- Take half of Cardboard toilet paper roll(Height - 9 cm,Length connecting one side to other side - 4 cm) and a cardboard rectangle(Length - 9 cm,breadth - 4 cm)
- Paste the cardboard toilet paper roll on the rectangle and paste two Cardboard strips at top and bottom.Need to make two of them.(Photo 2 from left to right)
- Paste one funnel at end of Part 1 Superstructure and the other funnel at the start of Part 2 Superstructure.(Photo 3 & 4 from left to right).
- Take 4 (5 cm) long toothpicks,take 16 (1.5 cm) long toothpicks and take 4 (3 cm) long toothpicks.
- Make a ladder using 2 (5 cm) long toothpicks and using 8 (1.5 cm) long toothpicks(photo 6 from left to right).Then paste 2 (3 cm)long toothpicks vertically slanted(You will get a triangle shape on either sides).Then paste another 2 toothpicks vertically in the middle of the triangles on either sides(photo 7 from left to right).Need to make two of them.
- Paste the two bridges connecting the Part 1 and Part 2 Superstructures(Photo 8 from left to right)
- Take 2 (Length - 6 cm) wire wind them together.Need to make 2 of them.Paste those two at the front of the ship.(Photos 9 and 10 from left to right)
- Paste cardboard strips as a cross between Part 1 and 2 Superstructure(Photo 11 from left to right)
- Paste cardboard strips around the cuboid in Part 1 Superstructure.Then paste cardboard rectangles and triangles and toothpicks on top of them.(Photo 12 from left to right)
Step 13: Masts and Flag Posts
- Take a Pen tube and paste in top of the cuboid.Then paste two other pen tubes from either side of the pasted pen tube.(Photo 1 and 2 from left to right)
- Then paste a cardboard square on top of the middle pen tube and paste a toothpick on top of the square.Then paste two toothpicks horizontally on the vertical toothpick(photos 3,4,5 from left to right)
- Cut a small square and paste a small toothpick on it.Then paste it on top of the pasted toothpick.(Photo 6 and 7 from left to right)
- For the back mast the step one of front mass is repeated(Take a Pen tube and paste in top of the cuboid.Then paste two pen tubes from either side of the pasted pen tube.(Photo 1 and 2 from left to right)).
- Then a toothpick is pasted slanted.A small cardboard rectangle is pasted where the two pen tubes from either sides join together.One toothpick is pasted horizontally on the top.
- Follow the step 3 of front mast and it is pasted on the top(photo 8 from left to right)
- Paste two toothpicks vertically on front and the end of the ship(Photo 9 from left to right)
Step 14: Lifeboats
- Cut cardboard according to the given dimensions in photo 1 from left to right.
- Paste 2 boat like figures on either sides of (length - 2.5 cm,breadth - 1 cm) rectangle(photo 2 from left to right)
- Turn it upside down and paste the (Length - 3 cm,Breadth - 1 cm) rectangle.
- Paste the other rectangle horizontally slanted on the top and on the front.Make 2 of lifeboats.
Step 15: Coloring the Ship
- Mix white and black paint.You will get dark gray color
- Paint the hull and the Superstructure using dark gray color.(Don't paint the deck.It is already painted with wood plank color).
- Paint the lifeboats with same color and outline the top with white paint.
- Color the small guns with dark gray color
Step 16: Fixing the Remaining Guns
- Paste the 4 small guns at circles and the rectangle at the end of the ship.
- Then paste one big gun on top of the small turret in the front,one in back turret and other two on either sides of the funnel in the part 1 superstructure.
Step 17: Threads
- Take pieces of threads
- First connect a piece of thread from the cuboid in Part 1 Superstructure to the top,horizontal toothpick in the front mast(photo 1 from left to right)
- Connect four pieces of thread from the bottom of the middle post to the second horizontal toothpick in the front mast(photo 2 from left to right)
- Connect the front mast and the back mast using four pieces of threads.(photo 3 from left to right)
- Then connect a piece of thread from the deck to slanted toothpick on the back mast.Connect another piece of thread from slanted toothpick to the square at the top(photo 4 from left to right.
Step 18: Flags
- Take 4 (Length - 5 cm,breadth - 2 cm)papers
- Fold them in half
- Using marker pens(red & blue) draw the British flag on two of the folded paper on both sides and draw the Royal Navy Flag on the other two on both sides.(In photo 3 from left to right:left - Royal Navy Flag,Right - British Flag)
- When pasting the flag on flag posts should paste them by pasting the folded paper together.(You can see the pasted flags in the photos)
- Paste one British flag in the front flag-post of the ship and the other British flag on top of the back mast.
- Paste one Royal Navy Flag in the back flag-post of the ship and the other Royal Navy Flag on bottom of the back mast(just after the slanted post.Can see in the last photo from left to right)
Step 19: Conclusion
- You will have your Cardboard Model battleship HMS Prince of Wales.You can also make this at your home easily.Thanks for watching my Instructable.
Participated in the
Back to Basics Contest