Introduction: A Padded IPad Mini Cover
It’s always the little projects that throw me for a loop. A dress pattern with twenty separate pieces and minimal directions does not phase me. But a simple cover for an iPad throws me for a loop – go figure!
My mom recently requested a protective cover for her iPad mini. I do not have my own, so I made a tracing of the device on a piece of paper for reference.
I spend a day racking my brain for ideas. I was dealing with a looming deadline with no time to purchase any new materials.
And then it came to me . . . an envelope clutch would be the perfect solution, or at least a good place to start. And I certainly have enough fabric in my sewing room to choose from!
An envelope clutch is exactly what it sounds like. A purse or clutch folded up like a paper envelope. This means the holder can be made from a single pattern piece that is folded and stitched. Quick and easy!
I gathered some quilting cotton from the stash.
I measured off the length of the iPad and added ½” for my seam allowance and an extra ½” for ease of use. Next the width was measured and doubled adding 1” for the seam allowance and ease of use. For the top flap, I added a few inches to the doubled width measurement, marked the center point, and rounded that end off (the shape of the flap could obviously be changed according to taste).
A layer of fleece was added to the outside fabric for padding. This will probably not prevent damage from any drop from a significant height, but it will prevent scratching.
A duplicate layer of fabric was cut out as the lining. With the right sides together, I stitched the edges, leaving a couple of inches free to turn the fabric right side out. But before turning, I trimmed down the corners, and clipped small triangles out of the curved flap – this eliminates bulk from interior seems.
The opening was stitched closed, and the entire piece was given a good press with an iron.
The bottom portion of the fabric was folded up, and the side seam stitched in place.
There are so many options for closures.
I avoid Velcro like the plague because it collects dirt and debris. I have even managed to snag my clothes on Velcro while reaching inside things, so that was out. Pushing down on a metal snap in the middle of a delicate electronic gadget seemed like a bad idea . . . so a loop and button were added as a closure.
So there you have it – a quick project that was completely out of my comfort zone, but I am very pleased with the end result! After all, it serves its purpose very well, and mom was happy!
Participated in the