Barn Found (super Cheap) Mandolin Restoration



Introduction: Barn Found (super Cheap) Mandolin Restoration

Hi guys, in this instructables I am gonna show mandolin restoration less than 5 dollars. I only used some sandpapers a little coffee and indian oil that I found in home. I was thinking about finishing the entire mandolin with shellac(sunburst) but I didnt have much time and finishing with oil could be much faster.

Step 1: Removing the Pickguard and Sanding the Body

First thing I did was removing the all remaining glue residues form the pickguard. Then I sanded the headstock, neck and front sound board. Since the back and side finishes were ok didn't remove them. I lightly sanded the front part as a result I couldnt manage to remove the pickguard trace but its was ok for me. I sanded frets to give a shiny look with a fine sand-paper.

Step 2: Hardware

After some search, I found tuning machines and metal tailpiece those belong to the mandolin. I cleaned and oiled mechanical parts and dipped the plastic peg heads into a dark coffee to give them a brownish color (like old mandolins). I brushed the metal tailpiece and attached with some screws.

Step 3: Finishing and Final Assembly

I wanted to finish it with shellac but i would like to restore it with a small budget. I finished the sanded parts with indian oil which was bought as massage oil. I applied indian oil with a small cotton rag. It worked well. The mandolin sounds bright and the sustain is good.

Trash to Treasure Contest 2017

Participated in the
Trash to Treasure Contest 2017

Be the First to Share


    • For the Home Contest

      For the Home Contest
    • Make It Bridge

      Make It Bridge
    • Big and Small Contest

      Big and Small Contest