Introduction: Cathedral Window Quilt DIY
Hi everyone this is my first Instructable.
The Cathedral Window Quilt is one I use for an on the go project to keep my hands busy. I make the background squares and then put them into a small bag with a needle, thread, and pins with the squares of colors then take it with me in the car or when I know there will be a lot of wait time somewhere.
Hope you enjoy this project as much as I do.
- Background Fabric
- Assorted fabric scraps
- Needle & Thread
- Sewing pins
- Sewing Machine
Step 1: Background Prep (machine Sewing)
Cut the background into 7-inch squares.
- For each square of background, prep them as follows. Seam Allowances are 1/4"
1) Fold the square in half and sew along both short ends of the folded square
2) Twist the block to match the seams together
3) Sew along the raw edge leaving about 1½”-2” open to turn right side out
4) Turn right side out
5) Press seams flat / tucking the opening closed
6) Turn seams up to the top (facing you)
7) Fold points to the center
8) Press well (use steam if needed)
9) Stich a cross across the center to hold down the points
10) Pull threads to the top, tie together and then trim
Step 2: Attaching Background Squares Together
(All hand sewing from here)
- Place two squares together back to back and whipstitch along one edge, tie-off and cut the thread.
- Open piece to lay flat
- Continue this process to connect multiple pieces together
Hint: When making a large piece it is easiest to work with a strip of blocks 2X6 or 2X12
Step 3: Stitching the Color
1) Cut assorted colored fabric scraps into 1¾” squares
Hint: I made a cardboard template to make this easier
2) Now that your background blocks are attached pin your colored scraps over the whipstitches shifting them till you like their arrangement.
3) Roll the folded edge of background fabric over the colored piece and pin
4) Start stitching this edge down using an applique stitch or invisible stitch of your choice
5) Work your way around all four edges sealing the colored fabric in all the way around
6) Repeat for each colored square
Participated in the
Colors of the Rainbow Contest