Introduction: Connect Raspi to a Proxy
In this tutorial, I am going to tell you how to connect the internet through a proxy. Why I am interested in this is because I am at IIT KHARAGPUR or most colleges have an internet connection through local ethernet and ethernet has it's own proxy setting and the user had to enter their passwords for internet access. In raspberry pi for downloading packages through local internet having proxy through terminal, we have to set up the local proxy settings and username, password on our own.
For this, you need Raspberry pi, internet connection...
Follow my previous instructable to make your raspberry pi headless... here is the link
Step 1: Setup Local Proxy..
1. Open Terminal and Go to the root account or otherwise open Root Terminal directly.
2. Then Navigate to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ folder we can go to that folder through cd /etc/apt/apt.conf.d command in a root terminal.
3. Then create and open 10proxy file (actually this file does not exist so we have to create the file) through command nano 10proxy (this is the command for this creating and opening the 10proxy file in Terminal).
4. Then add the Acquire::http::Proxy"http://username:password@proxy_server_address:port"; line ( you have to add the sentence in bold) and Save it. ( Example: The format is Acquire::http::Proxy "http://username:email@example.com:8080"; the format is according to you local proxy)
5. Then Close the Terminal. For checking Type sudo apt-get update in the terminal. Then you get the internet access in raspberry to download the packages.
Thank You ;)